Sarah Palin fires back at Sasha Baron Cohen for his Showtime Prank

Again … this is not about breaking a law.

Wrong. “Forrest Gump” was clearly a fictional drama portraying a wounded veteran. NOBODY was deceived by it.

Famous? The word must not mean what it used to.

Comedian is a stretch too.

Neither of us has made any such assertion.

That’s an absurd comparison.

Do you think he does the show for free?

From your very first post in this thread:

“Stolen Valor” specifically implies a crime. If that’s not what you’re referring to, then perhaps a different term would be suited.

Not according to the law.

Well this is funny. Cohen’s show attracted a very, very, very small audience. Only 327,000. The show that came on after it, Our Cartoon President by Stephen Colbert, did even worse.

Many cable shows that night got way more viewers, including Investigation Discovery and a CNN documentary which I think was a repeat.

So for all the hype, in the end almost no one watched this show.

1 Like

Stolen Valor is a crime. GW argued:

Using the term implies the crime.

That’s exactly what Palin claims Cohen’s character portrayed. The deceit was irrelevant-that’s Palin’s fault.

Read that first post again … I said “if not illegal” … “is despicable.” Nobody is claiming his deception to lure unsuspecting victims to be exploited (for profit) on his show broke the law. You are arguing a point that nobody is making.

Why do you persist in talking about a law?

From your article:

UPDATE: Showtime says “Who is America?” actually was seen by over 1 million people when include all platforms including several showings that were streamed and beamed and telegraphed. But basically, “Who is America?” didn’t make the top 25 cable shows on Sunday night. It was a bust.

Aside from that, the article dishonestly compares a show on a subscription-based channel (Showtime) to regular cable TV.

By that was a nice attempt at dismissal, @Joanne.

Who has Showtime anyway?

HBO, Netflix, YouTube Plus. What else do you need?

1 Like

Why do you persist on using the legal term “stolen valor” as if it has any weight or merit in this discussion beyond the legal meaning?

Because even IF he were to have pretend to be a military veteran for a comedic interview, it STILL WOULD NOT BE STOLEN VALOR. He is not personally claiming military service. He’s playing a character who did.

Good lord, the jingoism just oozes from you.

GWH did not say that that is what he “wants the law to say.”

You keep moving the bar and making things up.

Which suggests you believe it may be illegal.

YOU LITERALLY JUST SUGGESTED IT MIGHT BE when you said “if not illegal…” That implies that if it’s not illegal, it’s despicable. Honestly, is English your first language? You’re making that a valid question with your parsing of words right now.

I LITERALLY just quoted you and GW BOTH making that insinuation.

Typical Samm parsing of words. I shouldn’t have expected anything more.

We made no such insinuation. That’s coming completely from your imagination based, apparently, on what you want to believe we are saying. How many times must I repeat it? We are NOT talking about his actions being illegal, only despicable.