'Rona Relief Bill 2

or what is more likely going the refrain heard:
“the bias media once again reporting negatively about trump and republicans, they never talk about the good”

1 Like

Nah, McConnell understands the stakes. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re taking their four day weekend to beat Rand Paul and Ted Cruz about the head and shoulders with tire irons until they agree not to commit political suicide.

Though another angle would be that if they don’t have fifty one Republican votes, they would have to give up big portions of their agenda to the Democrats to get their votes. They’ve already backed down on another stimulus payment, continuing UI would be the next logical step.

You do understand that Pelosi’s House passed their legislation almost two months ago, right? And it’s been sitting on McConnell’s desk ever since.

I’m all for blowing up Pelosi and the House for their laziness. But on this specific issue, they did their work a while ago and have been waiting on the Senate.

Poeing is not allowed.

Everyone knows you don’t believe that.

1 Like

Pelosi completely balked at that idea today. She is playing hardball and said that rather than extension, of the McConnell GOP couldn’t come up with a bill and beg for an extension, then they can finally just vote on the House bill as is.

We know it’s part of a strategy. She has the GOP in a complete bind. Trump and McConnell gambled on the economy making some giant V-shaped recovery, which is why the Senate dragged their heals. That didn’t happen. The unemployment claims released today alone proved that. The jobs numbers for July are not going to be favorable. So the GOP gambled and lost. And now the Democrats hold all of the cards.

Of course it does.

Expenses don’t stop and it is not the duty or obligation of a landlord to absorb the cost. I’d suppose a lot of folks think landlords are just sitting on a pile of cash. That isn’t true.

As do I. Life is tough.

Helluva time for McConnell to lose control of his caucus. He’s been gunning to dethrone LBJ as the most powerful majority leader of all time for years.

When they started talking about a series of bills to tackle different aspects of it, I knew they were in big, big trouble because the House will never go for it and that’s a move you make when you can’t be sure of your own caucus’s votes because of divisive issues.

1 Like

Weird part is, this was supposed to be a strategy that put the Democrats’ backs against the wall and made them concede on big issues, waiting til the last second, but Rand Paul suddenly rediscovering a spine and Ted Cruz reaffirming why he’s the most hated man in the Senate on both sides has absolutely wrecked that.

There’s no play here that doesn’t make it look like the Democrats were responsible entirely for the money people are about to get. Shockingly bad tradecraft, the kind of thing I expect from a bum like McCarthy or Schumer, not McConnell.

1 Like

Just a note, I just fixed an error in post 198, which significantly effects the intent of the post. :smile:

1 Like

In reply to both of your posts above in one here. I truly think the chaos and uncertainty and destructive nature of Trump has finally begun to take its toll on McConnell. The GOP is eyeing a blue tsunami right now where they lose all levers of power in government. And not by a little.

Couple this with the legitimate crisis our nation faces and the political divisiveness of where we all are; Trump commands a loyal but minority cult following that the GOP has to have in full for any shot at maintaining power, while the entire rest of the nation is basically against them. From George Will to AOC and everyone in between.

And McConnell is simply not capable of keeping his party in line. They are all thinking about their own futures right now. Cruz, Paul, Cotton, Lee, the Freedom Caucus, etc. They can’t stand against Trump, but they also can’t just abide by what will be spun as complete capitulation to the Pelosi-led Democrats.

This is all becoming worst case scenario for the GOP. But this is their bed. They made it a long time ago.

As I said in my OP in the other thread, this is the ultimate and inevitable outcome of Nixon’s southern strategy.

1 Like

Very true. And exactly what the 2012 GOP post-election autopsy warned would happen if they did not make a major shift in their focus and direction.

Well, they made a major shift alright. But instead of a new direction, they opted to quadruple-down on virtually every single negative that this post-mortem suggested they move away from.

If they become a regional party because of Trumpism, then so be it. Trump has decimated them and they deserve every last negative repercussion as a result.

The Senate has been useless since 1913.

Prove it.

You have no idea what I believe.

It has been useless since 1806.

1 Like

I was trying to make a funny. :crazy_face:

But come on man. We know you’re not in favor of random, more legislation for the sake of legislation.

The funny part is, the GOP veered sharply away from the Southern Strategy, but Republican voters wanted it back by popular demand even if they’d never heard of it, so they voted for the guy that would give it to them.

1 Like

Why 1806?

I haven’t gotten a dime of relief funds… this really doesn’t affect me.