'Rona Back to School

I will be watching the children and grandchildren of prominent politicians to see what is really the safe thing to do.

1 Like

Some kids will be ok.

FB_IMG_1594904298092

4 Likes

They should get a pay raise due to the increased risk to their health.

Can’t help but notice that pretty much all of the people clamoring for everyone to do as they do, are the same types of people complaining about the current heatwave. Man, that walk to the air conditioned car must be rough. Especially getting out of it to walk into the air conditioned building. :rofl:

Why? Do they get one everytime there is an epidemic of anything?

How does money offset health risks?

Should we pay hands more for “summer”?

It’s up to the teacher then, whether or not, they are willing to accept the additional risk, along with their job. Their pay is based purely on the job. Now something that has NEVER happened in the US, is happening and places additional risk and efforts on their part, to comply. If I were king, I’d offer them a bonus.

I’m fully prepared to home school my children further this year. My oldest is in 4th grade and already knows the basics of Algebra. The longer this goes on, the further ahead of the other kids my children will be. If I continue to enjoy teaching them, I may just make it a full-time gig.

Let the other parents and teachers completely fail their children because they’re too busy begging for State Daddy to think for them. Their kids will work for mine someday. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yes it is up to them.

And they’ll demand a bonus every time anything happens.

I believe in fair play and fair pay. I also believe that hiring the very best people in this very special endeavor, pays large dividends to us all…down the road.

They aren’t hiring the very best people, the people are already hired.

Once again…I’d give them a base pay raise to hire the best and to create an environment where people will compete for this job, insuring that we have the very best teaching our kids plus give the a COVID bonus.

Nobody at my school is asking for more pay. However, there is plenty of concern for the safety of faculty and staff and for the people they live with or care for. When pediatricians talk about the “need” for kids to be in school, they are largely talking about elementary and pre-school kids, at least that’s what what my pediatrician sister talks about. High school kids are notorious in our community for spreading Covid. Moreover, what kids and families do outside of school is out of our control.

When chairs are 3 to 6 feet apart in an enclosed space for many hours on end, this becomes one of the worst environments for Covid spread, especially in its aerosol form. You might as well be in a indoor restaurant. Because I have seniority in good standing and am also over 65 and with an underlying medical condition, my school was ready to allow me to work online. And we have excellent online tools. However, I offered to teach if given full PPE–N95 masks, face shield–which they agreed to. Actually, this level of protection was recommended to me by my sister, and also my youngest brother, an internist.

So, then what happens when a kid or a teacher tests positive? Then the contact tracing begins, Then the quarantines begin. What do families do when their household tests positive? There are also families who will not send the children anyway, pay full tuition, and expect online classes (that we also are expected to provide). What if one of two young roommate teachers working at different schools gets Covid. They both quarantine. What happens to their jobs? There a thousand different things to do to “open schools safely,” I tell you one thing, I’m not using a bathroom at school. But I do have a secret “place.”

I could go on and on (as I already have). The fear among teachers (in this country) is palpable. As soon as you see spikes coming from schools, they will shut down. I suspect we will shut down within 2 weeks of opening. Our plan for opening is being announced today.

4 Likes

Kids are far more likely to contract it from an adult than transmit it between each other. High school age kids would benefit from the use of a mask. Not sure what puberty has to do with this virus, but there it is.

High school kids should do home school.

1 Like

This is a great idea. Teachers should opt to do homeschooling in the absence of public education. They would make more money with less students, and students would have a better education. With 10 children at a charge of 125 per week, per student, they could be making double their current salary.

I disagree. The point has always been to flatten the curve, not eliminate it altogether. The young being the least at risk, I see no issue with them going to school and using ppe to slow the spread.

1 Like

Are there any current models predicting when we will finally flatten the curve?

1 Like

Have there been any predictive models that were correct?

Elementary school children need to go to school. It’s one of the keys to a better life.