'Rona Back to School

I already gave a pretty good example:

The main point I was making, which I was pretty clear about here:

Teachers will be doing the brunt of the work-they’re the ones expected to implement any and all changes, implement them at a moment’s notice when things change, and will be expected to do so without error lest they risk the health of students or other faculty/staff.

Small classrooms, lots of students makes this very difficult in many places in the US.

Pretty bold claim. As you’re oft to point out, trying to compare the rest of the world to the US is pretty folly. Shouldn’t need to be explained why in the case of education.

Israel tried reopening school in early May and it didn’t go well. There were thousands students/staff infected, and schools shut back down.

We can barely get people to agree on whether masks are effective in the US, yet you want to talk about other parts of the world that have no reluctance to throw on masks when the need arises.

We can barely get our “centgov” to agree on guidelines for reopening (see Trump V CDC on guidelines for reopening).

We have a press secretary who has suggested science should not stand in the way of schools opening (as opposed to letting science GUIDE the reopening, which is what the few countries with open schools are doing).

We certainly aren’t going to throw the needed money at it.

And the US COVID situation has most certainly been more devastating than many other places around the world, like Denmark, that was able to reopen in their schools in part due to the fact that they are a tiny nation that locked down hard and fast, and never had major problems with outbreaks.

Figuring out logistics like this is part of why education associations in the US are generally calling for wholly online learning to start, or for districts to push back their start dates. There’s A LOT to figure out logistically-like “where are we going to get all the subs for high risk teachers to be able to teach from home.” Or “how do we make class sizes smaller without hiring more teachers, while also not overburdening teachers who we aren’t paying more money to do more work?” Or “how do we make sure every single student, including those who don’t have internet access at home, are doing their work, learning, etc.” Or what happens if a teacher’s kids attend a district that has shut down, but the district where the teacher works has not shut down?

This is a huge logistical mess, and instead of just slowing our collective rolls and making sure we get it right, we’re still in a HUGE RUSH to try to force things to return to normal immediately, and that’s not going to happen.

2 Likes

That doesn’t support your contention, the teachers aren’t getting the blame the people who set and signed their contracts were.

Teachers don’t dictate when they get paid, they have a choice to take lower pay for the entire year so they have a check each month or to accept full pay only for the months they actually work in most cases.

They are usually working for a couple of weeks following school and a couple of weeks before as well.

Teachers will not be setting policy and they won’t be making any decisions other than conducting their class activities as dictated by their respective school boards and administrations.

There are zero logistical challenges to doing this, the online platform is already established for every school in the country that implemented online classes in March/April/May.

Hell every business in the country that reopened has already given us a good template for how to maintain services while protecting both employees and customers.

What the science actually shows us is that continuing to keep schools closed is presenting far more dangers for kids than reopening them.

Or in recess. Right how asinine.

Learn to use the quote function.

1 Like

Kids can be kept under control and maintaining social distancing during recess and of course there’s no risk to healhty kids or that they will spread it.

I don’'t see a lot of school age kids at the protests or riots.

Let’s stick to reality.

I use the reply function so people know what I’m replying to. If you’re too lazy to click on it that’s not my issue.

I"m not required to use it and you aren’t a moderator. Stay in your lane.

I am not arguing whether they are at riots i am supporting your claims of lack of evidence of transmission during normal outdoor activities.

You guys claiming that riots caused the spike even though there was no spike in ny and plenty of riots While at the same time arguing for the kids to go back to school because it’s ok to be around other people outside is counterintuitive

Riots are not a “normal outdoor activity” and they aren’t school age kids.

The spikes have occurred in many areas directly along the timeline we’'d expect if it was spreading during the riots.

Did riots occur in Houston to cause their outbreak?

Elementary teachers, esp in grades K-2, have lots of close contact with students. Reading, handwriting, and math concepts are all taught close up and personal.
It would be hard to do otherwise.

2 Likes

Your strawman is on fire. I didn’t say all thee spikes were coterminous.

We also have the issue of people traveling city to city and state to state to attend them so that’s going to remain an unknown.

Then how are they managing to do it online?

How many cases do we have where it was confirmed faculty or staff became infected by kids?

0 world wide so far.

Teaching the basics of reading to young kids is not successful online.

Two weeks after Israel fully reopened schools, a COVID-19 outbreak sweeping through classrooms — including at least 130 cases at a single school — has led officials to close dozens of schools where students and staff were infected. A new policy orders any school where a virus case emerges to close.After Reopening Schools, Israel Orders Them To Shut If COVID-19 Cases Are Discovered : Coronavirus Updates : NPR

Hard to know who passed it, isn’t it?

1 Like

That of course is completely false, there were 220 cases in the entire country and no confirmed transmission from kids to faculty or staff and no serious illness.

There’s simply no facts supporting the claim that even Elementary kids cannot learn Math and English online.

Whoosh.

1 Like

Basically what was expected. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes, facts you cannot refute.

That is just one of many statements demonstrating the inability of non-educators to grasp the logistics of opening schools

1 Like