Richard Branson: America, give out free cash

Trump won the election largely on the promise of putting those people in the Rust Belt back to work, not on giving them a handout.

We had full employment when he won. Those Americans were still disgusted at the meager fruits of their labor.

I’m being completely serious, wouldn’t this be cheaper than trying to rebuild entire industries so a fraction of the benefit can go to those workers. A check that goes to them directly and supplements their current income would do the same thing faster and more directly than distorting the market with tarrifs and taxes.

Those factories moved overseas to be more profitable, and if they are more profitable, then that means the money exists somewhere in the economy to make up the wages that the lower middle class feel they’ve been cheated out of.

lol - I almost posted this a couple of hours ago, but then decided to see what cons head would blow up first. Well worth the wait! :rofl:

Bad news cons… This is where the world is heading whether you like it or not.

Just think of the poor coal miners and their hungry babies.

You don’t seem to even understand what “full employment” means. There were still millions of people all around the Rust Belt who’s manufacturing jobs and jobs in the coal industries have simply disappeared.

There are many millions more across the entire country who’s industrial jobs and jobs in related industries that have gone away stuck working minimum wage part time jobs who were begging for the industries they worked in and service industries that supported them to come back.

Those coal miners aren’t looking for a handout, they want to go back to work digging coal.

They wanted those jobs back because they offered good wages with their current, or less than current skillsets. There was nothing inherent to a factory job that those workers need if they can get a good wage elsewhere with their skillsets.

Bringing these factories back at even just the 90s and 00s wages these rust belt workers remember is still asking the owners to take a loss in profits. And I don’t imagine that any factory will come back to America to pay higher wages than when they left. The lower and middle classes still don’t get ahead and now the upper class takes a hit because they make less profit.

Tarrifs with the intent to bring factories back from overseas would just force the lower class factory worker to pay the factory owner for higher priced American made products just so the the owner could pay some back down to the worker later. All of this from a smaller pool of money than when the owner was getting 0 cost labor in Vietnam.

Instead of doing all that, just give the entire lower class a $10,000 refundable tax credit in the next tax bill and be done with it.

Instead of spewing the same democrat propaganda spend some time looking at the inverse relationship between our trade deficit, the stagnation of wages and the continual constriction of the middle class.

American workers can compete with anyone if we have a level playing field because we have the highest productivity in the world.

I’m not for punitive tariffs but I am for fair trade and reciprocal tariffs. We’ve been bleeding jobs and national wealth like a severed artery for 40 years years and whether you like him or not Trump is the first president since Reagan to even attempt to level that playing field again and give both American manufacturers and workers a chance to return to that same kind of growth.

This is an incredibly stupid idea and it’s the middle class that would end up paying for it.

Not even Republicans believe in your brand of propaganda anymore.

I don’t think it’s stupid. How will the middle class end up paying?

Where do you think the money to pay for it would come from?

Economic growth.

Let me be clear. The bottom 47% of “earners” has either a 0 or net negative tax liability already, it’s the rest of us footing the bill for them already as well as paying for all of their other deductions and tax credits.

That’s just ridiculous. 10k per family wouldn’t be enough to boost anything but sales at Circle K and KMart.

You need to learn the difference in facts and propaganda.

Everything I said there is absolutely true.

Instead of spewing the same democrat propaganda spend some time looking at the inverse relationship between our trade deficit, the stagnation of wages and the continual constriction of the middle class.

American workers can compete with anyone if we have a level playing field because we have the highest productivity in the world.

I’m not for punitive tariffs but I am for fair trade and reciprocal tariffs. We’ve been bleeding jobs and national wealth like a severed artery for 40 years years and whether you like him or not Trump is the first president since Reagan to even attempt to level that playing field again and give both American manufacturers and workers a chance to return to that same kind of growth.

I disagree. I think 10k per family would function like any other 10k rise in wages, all the boats will be lifted.

That’s only concern if the plan has to instantly be revenue neutral. Give it the same patience you’d give any other tax cut/credit.

Yet there’s no evidence to support it. If that were the case the WOP would have eliminated poverty by 1970.

If you give such a cash injection to the poorest of the poor it would be wasted overnight mostly on crap and whatever stimulus it created would last more than a few weeks.

In order to pay for that “stimulus” you have to take it from the pockets of taxpayers to start with so they have less to spend and grow the economy.

You can’t give a cut to people who are already not paying taxes. Instantly or otherwise it still has to be paid for by taxpayers.

It does not. Third option is that revenue will increase to cover the cost without any other change.