Revival of Locked Threads

I understand that the Moderators some times when a thread has lots of flags, it is easier to simply lock the thread rather than go through and determine whether the flags are warranted, or someone was just going flag happy for whatever reason.

I would rather this wasn’t the case, but I understand the Moderators are overworked, and I wouldn’t want their job. If this is what has to happen, then this is what is going to happen. Whatever.

However, are we allowed to revive locked threads if we go back to the original discussion? Like, it was the conversation that was troublesome, not the topic of the thread. Right?

It would be nice if when posts are removed or a thread locked, we could get a small explanation as to why. Sometimes a decent conversation will be had, and then poof, posts will disappear, and I’m left wondering what was inappropriate.

1 Like

According to one of the Mods, when a post is deleted, all the responses to that same post will also be deleted. Whole conversations can be lost that way.

Avoid going personal is my motto.

@Snow96 @GWH

Can I get an official answer?

When a thread becomes a problem (and the last one locked was a HUGE problem) they get locked.

When a post is reported, we look at that post. When we hit delete it askes if we want to delete just the post, or all reply’s to it. Since it doesn’t give option on each reply, it’s delete all so any quotes of the violation vanish (usually) as well.

Is the conversation in a particular thread a problem, or is the topic of the thread inherently going to be problematic, and therefore we should no longer attempt to discuss that specific topic anymore?

So are certain topics off limits?

Can we repost the same thread again? A lot of us wanted to discuss it.

One strategy for posters who do not like a thread about a topic that makes them uncomfortable is to flag everything in the hopes that the moderator will just take that thread away.

That strategy seems to be working.

I know now that I shouldn’t make any threads about politicians tweeting their support for white nationalists, for example, because the result will be flag spamming and thread deletion.

1 Like

Maybe people who spam the flag button should get a timeout so that the rest of us can enjoy more discussion.

1 Like

Imagine how much easier the moderators’ jobs would be.

Good thing that “some” people aren’t moderators here.

How do you get away with these responses as consistently as you do?

Then start a petition to ban me.

The forums do seem to be moderated strictor than they used to be.

It’s impressive what you get away with, when you aren’t making intelligent, informative posts that see past the media narratives. I’ve learned a lot from you, when you aren’t making occasional posts like the one you made in this thread.

I don’t know why I would start a petition to take that knowledge away from myself. I’m not a masochist.

The good overwhelmingly outweighs the bad. Maybe that’s why you can say things that would get me a timeout if I said them.

I think that there is a direct relationship between the number of flagged posts, the number of closed threads, and the time that moderators have to spend moderating.

There must be an efficient solution.

The mods are doing just fine. I known them for years and I know what they do for a living, they have voluntary donated their time here. And they are using the tools they have on this new forum to lesson their work load.

I don’t blame em for taking advantage of those tools.

Well, I wouldn’t say that they’re doing just fine. I think your post understates their contribution here. I think that they’re doing excellent work, and I wouldn’t qualify it in the way that you have.

I think that a few bad apples are the problem, and those few bad apples are trying to take advantage of the moderators.

That’s what we’re really talking about here.