Retiring - stay in USA or go to other country

Don’t they sort of have a history of seizing the assets and properties of foreigners every so often? THat and diseases only found in such warm climes. I’ll pass.

Costa Rica does.

Even if they don’t have such a history, seems like a really bad idea to purchase real estate in any country that has a corrupt government. If I wanted to retire there, I would certainly lease as opposed to buy.

If one wanted EU or Europe countries Portugal is easy to get into and Spain doesn’t lag to far behind it. They’re also some eastern european countries that are not hard to get into that the dollar goes far, you just have to make sure you are in the right city as there is a bigger divide in rural and city poor there than here.

I only list these because the amount of english speakers in these countries, if I could speak spanish I would look at Panama or even parts of Argentina or Brazil myself. One can still get by fine if they spoke German in parts of Argentina.

It’s no more corrupt than NJ.

Have to disagree that NJ is just as corrupt as Mexico.

Every bit as much, but I am talking about CA and SA.

Language shouldn’t be that big a barrier, not that hard to learn a new one, especially if you are immersed in it. Heck I learn them for vacations. Not fluently of course but enough to get by comfortably. Excluding things like cantonese.

I should have learned Spanish instead of German in college. At 40 I don’t know if I have it in me neither the patience and especially the time to learn a new language unless I doubled down on it. That is why I listed European Countries :slight_smile: Even though it’s not the primary language many countries there 50% of the population speak it.

I plan on staying here anyways, assuming everything goes good I will probably end up south though for retirement.

Have you tried duo lingo or rosetta, pretty painless and as far as I am concerned, fun. I can get by in French and Italian so far. Won’t be mistaken for a native but I can navigate shopping, restaurants etc. Have a lifetime membership with Rosetta for $200. I plan to never stop learning new ones.

Or these days you can skip it and have your phone translate for you. Works in a pinch.

Samm is our only resident Alaskan if I remember correctly.

I’ve always wanted to take a trip up there. A guy who lives down the road from me works in the oil field in Alaska. One month on, one month off.

He seems to enjoy it. He’s been doing it for almost five years now.

Outdoors-man paradise up there.

Nowadays that is. :wink:

I can imagine. The pictures look absolutely amazing. One of the few places left in the US where it’s not hard to completely leave modern civilization behind for a while.

Same reason I’m eyeballing Wyoming if the future permits me to do so in 30 years. Absolutely beautiful state and a ton of natural preserves.

Have to get used to snow every winter, though. I can count on one hand how many “deep” snow falls I’ve experienced in my life. And even then, it’s only deep for a gulf coaster. For people up north, it would be a mild inconvenience. Down here, the whole swath of states shut down completely.

Well, if I were to do it, it would be summers in Alaska and winters on the gulf coast. Wife and I have decided to stay here in the midwest but to take three or four months a year to live somewhere else, no second home headaches, just rent wherever here and abroad.

Alaska would be a great state to retire unless of course you like big cities. If you want to be left alone, there isn’t a place better. Libertarian live and let live laws, sparse population, and an abundance of natural beauty. I wanted to stop the car every 30 seconds to take photos.

In my short experience there, most of the country DOES not speak English. Maybe things have changed, but you’ll definitely learn Spanish.

Quick internet search says 8% speak English. My wife speaks French like a native, that’s an enormous help when we travel. She should, she lived in France for all of grade school.

Not sure where you went then, but it wouldn’t be a big deal for us either way. There are communities all over the place there with American retirees. We’ll be renting beach property. It’ll make it easier to arrive via sailboat.

Wow, that’s even less than I thought.

Me and my buddy went out with a girl from our hotel for drinks, she did not speak a word of English. That’s really rare for someone in hospitality industry to not speak it. Can’t think of any other place where that happened.