Retiring - stay in USA or go to other country

At a guess I would say it is because of low literacy. Usually not that bad even so for retirement, as expat retirees tend to cluster together. And I would expect a much higher percentage in and around those expat communities.

But I can also tell you as someone who has done two stints of a year or more abroad, I got incredibly homesick. No way I would sign up for a full retirement of it with no way out. Lease for a while sure, buy a house and put down roots, nope.

I did some research for Thailand. Ones can live comfortably(close to luxury) at $2500 a month. That’s with nice modern condo in downtown bangkok. Food is cheap there. Very friendly people and lots of things to do.

If you go out to the smaller town, it gets even cheaper. But if you want beach/touristy town, it will be a litttle more expensive.

Why stop there, if you go to India, you can have a live in maid, a chef and a driver too.

Does this give you pause at all?

from Politics of Thailand - Wikipedia

To date Thailand has had 20[2] charters and constitutions, reflecting a high degree of political instability. After successful coups, military regimes have abrogated existing constitutions and promulgated interim charters. Negotiations between politicians, bureaucrats, influence peddlers, Corporate Leaders and Army Officers have become a driving force in the restoration of temporary political stability.

Cheap countries are cheap for a reason, that being, investors are scared of them.

I messed with Rosetta Stone a few years back I don’t know if I have it in me, not trying to gripe as many are in the same boat but insane hours plus wife and two 5-10 year olds drains ones time.

Understood, I’m older, empty nester now, wouldn’t have had time for it back at your age either.

Yes I’m aware of that. Of course it’s not perfect. I live in chicago area. Foreigners and outsiders probably think it’s a warzone here. If you watch the news, you think people live in fear. It isn’t. Only certain areas are to be avoided. We all know where NOT to be. Most areas are quite calm and safe.

Thailand has political issues. I’ll have to include that in the decision but so far, it doesn’t deter me.

Philippines has a lot more english speakers than Thailand. Just don’t go south there, it’s beautiful but whenever you hear of some terrorist attack that’s where it happens. I thought Makita was nice, quiet a few westerners there it’s inside of Manilla

Also Philippines and the U.S. has always has kind of a special relationship among the people the populations is definitely pro Americans. Either will be a hell of a plane trip, we stopped at Tokyo then it was close to five hours to Manilla about the same for Thailand.

No I think most reasonable people understand that about cities. Just as silly as Euro’s who think all of America is murder central. My point was, how far your dollar goes is but one consideration of many. Political stability, a fair justice system and even the locals attitudes toward you are every bit as important when it comes to quality of life. If you think minorities have it bad here, trying being one almost anywhere else.

Yepp. I’ve never considered living outside of the US.

Well, maybe Canada. That’s about it. But even then, I don’t think I could do it. But at least it wouldn’t be the legal and cultural shock moving to somewhere like Thailand or Vietnam would be.

I could adjust to just about any advanced stable democratic country, which is not to say I would be just as happy as I am here. Not touching anything else with a ten foot pole in terms of committing to living there, especially not if I couldn’t afford to lose that investment. Tuscany and Normandy are my top two right now if I were going to do it for some reason. Though I haven’t checked how easy it is to get into France, Italy looks possible.

Only realistic way to live in a “not first world” country is the military. At least at that point you are mostly on base and have options for your defense if you are accused of a crime by the local authorities.

And Normandy sounds amazing. France in general is fascinating. I don’t ever want to live there, but I have to travel there one day. Being a big World War I Western Front fanatic makes it the equivalent of Mecca.

You could check out the south-west of Western Australia if you are looking outside the USA.

Yes I would agree. Rent is better way to go. Unless you end up marrying one of the local young lady. then that may change things. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Not likely to get in though.

Wasn’t there a 15 year lead time?

Australia’s point system, not good for retiree’s.

Or Texas for that matter.

Allan

It sounds like a beautiful plan and I hope it matures into your reality.

2 Likes

We plan on retiring to another country. In 12 years, my oldest and youngest hopefully will be college graduates, so once they’re done we heading to Jamaica. We’ll be 52 by then and plan to spend the rest of our days there. I might have a small tech consulting company, do some photography or coach track to keep me busy. My family has a house in the mountains of Manchester parish