Restaurants investing in technology instead of paying people higher rates

have you ever worked in the Restaurant biz?

Good servers increases profits, by selling.

1 Like

Well, thatā€™s the thing.

People really like to be serviced. That is the premise inherent in the whole concept of the service industry.

Works fine for fast food.

Not with full service restaurants.

1 Like

Let me know when you figure out how to run trillions of economic decisions without the market imposed price supermind. North Korea and the soviets hasnā€™t worked out real well.

I donā€™t object to pricing in externals by government action. I pretty much agree that we should give legal agency, in a weighted way, to future or unborn generations.

Yes. Exactly.

They have 1 million free Chinese workers in the concentration camps that big corporations pull from all the time. They have plenty of labor at a discount price. Nike, H@M, Heinz, Apple, and many fashion retailers use the forced labor camps of the CCP at a price better than the machines. They have plenty of labor to tap into.

I could see it in the restaurant chains like Applebeeā€™s, Chiliā€™s, etc., not a fine dining type place.

I do love how Republican have gone from free-trade to fair-trade in few decades.

2 Likes

Not really, no problem seeing a fine dining place automated, machine learning is pretty darn good for non general tasks. And letā€™s face it, nobody likes waiters, saying that as a former waiter and bartender. Pretty sure tech can outperform them in other words.

Casual dining tried automation. It didnā€™t work.

Depending on circumstances, Applebeeā€™s is just as important a night out as a three Michelin star restaurant.

1 Like

Tried, past, tech advances exponetionally, do the math.

By all means, feel free to open a robot-only restaurant.

Let us know how it goes.

Already done, I mostly door dash. No waiters or cashiers needed. Not so great for poor people.

Itā€™s not about technology. It doesnā€™t matter how smart the robots are.

Itā€™s not as good.

You know that as well as I do.

Take out isnā€™t the same as dining out.

Lol, seriously? Nobody cares if their waiter is smart. All they care about is their order being right, no waiters needed. Human waiters will be a rich people relic, like butlers or valets.

This is conplete nonsense.

I worked in a restaurant in an airport terminal.

We had a ā€œto-goā€ window, and a full-servide sit down restaurant.

Which do you think made more money?

I like the hybrid approach Iā€™ve seen some casual places use. The have a machine on the table that lets you order more drinks, appetizers, and pay without needing to call a waiter. But still have a waiter take your order, and check on occasion.

None of that is dependent on human waiters. You could remove waiters from any restaurant and nobody would blink. Yes, they might hang on high end, like butlers and valets. Or drivers.

Such is your supposition. I donā€™t agree.

By all means, feel free to test the waters. Start your robot restaurant. See what happens.