Republicans are at 217 seats in the House of Representatives, awaiting #218 which could be

13 seats yet to be called, Democrats must win all, Republicans must win 1.

Lauren Boebert in CO-3 (leading)
Bruce Poliquin in ME-2 (trailing)
Sarah Palin or Nick Begich in AK-AL (both trailing)
Kevin Kiley in CA-3 (leading)
Tamika Hamilton in CA-6 (trailing)
Tom Patti in CA-9 (trailing)
John Duarte in CA-13 (trailing)
Michael Maher in CA-21 (trailing)
David Valadao in CA-22 (leading)
Mike Garcia in CA-27 (leading)
Two Democrats are contesting CA-34
Scott Baugh in CA-47 (trailing)
Brian Maryott in CA-49 (trailing)

EDIT to add: Barbara Kirkmayer in CO-8 (trailing)

Obviously, the Republican majority is going to be ridiculously narrow, perhaps 220 seats to 215 seats.

Boebert’s race appears to be the closest to resolution.

EDIT: Correction to the above. Removing CA-34, already credited to Democratic total, adding CO-8 in play.

2 Likes

IMHO this is going to make for a fun speaker’s race. After hearing about Gatez and crew not wanting Kevin McCarthy and that Jim Jordan is making calls I am wondering how up in the air this deal will be.
No matter who is the speaker, they might be working with a very slim majority. And that might lead to a reduction in a lot of the investigations that they want to do against the Biden administration. And it certainly will be interesting when it comes to funding the government. The last time the Republicans shut down the government it really backfired on them.

Any thoughts on McCarthy as speakers? There appears to be a revolt, but MTG(?!) has said she’ll support him.

That is interesting.

It took over two months and 133 ballots to elect Nathaniel Banks as Speaker of the 34th Congress.

Just two or three dissenting Republicans could keep the House from organizing for months or at all.

The ONLY incentive these Republicans would have to allow the House to organize is so they can launch investigations of the Biden Administration. Without that incentive, they might block organization of the House completely.

And typically a handful of members are absent on any given day, meaning that functionally the majority could change. Democrats could pass a privileged resolution to declare the Speakership vacant and reorganize the House, which would force Republicans to do the same when their members returned.

And of course, the death or resignation of members and special elections could hand the majority to the Democrats prior to the end of Congress.

So it will be a very interesting two years.

I would love it if their own contentiousness kept them from organizing the house. That would be peak MAGA energy, wouldn’t it?

I am NOT sure you would be loving it.

They can’t organize, they can’t pass appropriations bills. The government could be effectively shut down for months.

1 Like

Good point. But then again, MAGA might see that as a feature, not a bug.

It would be the final political suicide for MAGA as well if they did that.

1 Like

MAGA = Make AMERICA great again.

Precisely why it’s so hated by the left. :wink:

3 Likes

No…your comment is why it’s hated by the left. You don’t define what democrats think.

nah no revolt.

its like when nancy was up for speakership in 2021.

a few dems congresspeople said “no nancy”

but. they folded their tent and voted her in when push came to shove.

same exact thing will happen here.

gaetz, jordan, biggs, MTG will ALL vote for MCCarthy when the vote come up this january.

its written in stone.

Allan

I definitely stay out of the psychotic minds of the pre-programmed creeps with all of Ivanka’s underage pics saved locally, so your random incoherent tantrum is as meaningless as leftist love for America. :wink:

2 Likes

Ha! A bold prediction. We shall see.

There is a lot of maga people that are just poor working people that hoped they would be listened to and instead where wrote off as degenerates and racists and are still being done that way. What I don’t get is how people don’t see how the writing is on the wall with MAGA, if DeSantis wins which I really hope he does he will be pursing many of the Trump policies on trade and immigration as would Abbot.

The only way you’re going to get and old establishment republican like Bush Jr or Romney is vote those few people left back in the democrats lost the working class, the republicans would be irrelevant if they let them go. The parties flipped Republicans use to own the white college educated and the democrats owned the white working class it’s done a 180 flip. The democrats weren’t offering to pay off debt for the working class just those that attended college.

1 Like

UPDATE

217 to 206 now

CO-8 has just been called for the Democrat, so now 12 seats remain.

McCarthey won already.

He still had 31 Republicans who voted against him getting the nomination. He now has to get 218 votes when the vote hits the floor in January. He has survived the easy part. Now the wheeling and dealing starts.

McCarthy got 188 votes to 31 against in his nomination by the GOP today.

So it will be some work to get to 218.

PS how were there 219 GOP representatives voting in this election?