Report: Mississippi lawmaker punched wife in face over sex | WTOP

I think the biggest mistake women make is going to friends or family members. That’s just more folks for the husband to kill.

Go to the cops. Get it on record. File a report. Make them responsible for your safety.

It does work.

And I am saying a gun is only good if you know how to use it, otherwise he will just use it on her.

There are resources available, trained Police officers who know how to use a gun.

Have them do their job and get the hell out of that house.

Shrimp and grits, done right, is wonderful.

1 Like

Okay this sounds reasonable, but bear in mind shooting at a range and shooting someone is an entirely different ball of wax. I am comfortable with a range of weapons but for someone who needs personal protection, weight and accuracy is going to mean a lot.

Not sure if a good old fashioned shotgun would do the trick here, but I would lean towards that. We have enthusiasts here who will probably rightly correct me on the matter and perhaps lean towards a Glock or some such weapon.

1 Like

I agree that it’s stupid how southern cops treat women.

1 Like

Exactly…and if she’s expecting support from law enforcement or her church…well, I wouldn’t count on it if I were her.

1 Like

Another stupid post.

3 Likes

There is a network of domestic violence shelters all over the country that will keep victim’s locations secret while they get all their ducks in a row. They can place them with volunteers in a nearby town sometimes or stay in a secure location.

I have to agree with Sneaky and Janet on this one. She needs to get some self-defense training, buy a firearm, and then take some classes to know how to use that firearm. Domestic violence is a big problem in the U.S. Chances are, if she doesn’t escape, he’s going to end up raping her- or worse.

For now she needs to get a support network built so she can get away from him.

1 Like

Going to police might be one of the options, but it should not be the only option.

She probably has bruises, and other injuries on her face. She needs to take pictures of those, and hide them as evidence.

Your argument is good as gold. Unless she can get a no contact or a restraining order, which takes time, the situation isn’t going to resolve. She should probably do both. But she needs to escape first.

If her husband is really like this, I can’t imagine what other things he’s doing to her. This says a lot about him, honestly.

Grits and cheese and a pinch of pepper are delicious, in my book. Plain grits are tasteless. It’s like eggs- you have to mix it with other ingredients to make it tasty. :slight_smile:

Even people who are trained for years in using a firearm cannot always respond appropriately. You expect a person who simply took self-defense training to do so?

1 Like

The reason he hit her is more troublesome.

What are you basing that claim on?

What does “appropriately” mean?

Less than an hour.

If you have time to wade through legalese, this site may explain the procedure for obtaining a restraining order.

Last I heard anything, first a temporary order was issued, for something like 72 hours. If a Judge in a hearing for a more permanent order found compelling reason to issue one more long lasting, it’s issued.

1 Like