Rep. Matt Gaetz introduces His Son

Accusing white people of not knowing. Assuming.

3 Likes

I hear you. I wonder though, were the roles reversed, would you feel the same way about Richmond?

2 Likes

Fair. But it is also a fair assumption. How can one fully know if they have not personally lived it? If every single one of their life experiences has not created the understanding they hold? Can it be read in a book? Can it be heard in a speech? Does that actually give someone the full knowledge and understanding of someone living it each and every single day of their lives?

Can I fully know what it is like to be in war, because I have listened to friends tell me stories, or I have read books on war? Can I truly understand and know what you know, without having ever personally experienced it myself?

1 Like

As Nebraska pointed out, this came to light AFTER his dust up with Congressman Richmond. Sounds pretty convenient time to do so, eh? Then video surfaces of Gaetz calling him a ā€œhelperā€. Thereā€™s also a picture of his ā€œsonā€ where he calls him an ā€œinternā€. And then thereā€™s the strange picture when Gaetz was sworn in in 2016, and magically, his ā€œintern helper sonā€ isnā€™t in the picture.

1 Like

Absolutely. @GWH actually brought up a fair point earlier in the thread that Richmond used his speech to try and paint the Republicans on the committee as racist. It was couched in words to prevent it from being obvious and requiring censorship of him, but he sure as heck did it. And screw him for doing so. But that was not the topic of the thread.

Youā€™re right

Iā€™m sure he brought the kid into his life purely for political (or worse) reasons.

Must be it

No, it wasnā€™t.

How can one fully know if they have not personally lived it?

Some live it more than others. Richmond ever had a son called a wetback?

1 Like

Was it the reason for the response?

I disagree, based on all of the reasons I gave in the post, in which you cut.

Deflection is noted and discarded. This is about parents raising black children and the threats they have to explain to them about being black in America when it comes to law enforcement.

1 Like

It wasā€¦and I addressed it. I only meant that the reason I did not continue down that path was because the OP was focused on Gaetz and his son. Not on Richmond throwing a thinly veiled accusation of racism out at the GOP. Which he did, and he is a piece of ā– ā– ā– ā–  for it.

Reasons beget reasonsā€¦

The reason there is a thread is that Richmond said something that Gaetz took exception to.

1 Like

I donā€™t disagree with this either.

I agree. Maybe Gaetz felt the same, was tired of it, and that is why he brought up Nestor.

1 Like

Could be. And likely is the reason why. From a few different accounts, Gaetz is legitimately proud of the child and does work to help him out. Which is great. But using him as a cudgel to score cheap political points that were nonsensical anyway in the context of the conversation being had, remains contemptible in my opinion. And then rushing to all of the political spin talk shows afterwards, just further illustrates the point to me that this was all about using Nestor as a prop in this given moment. It does not negate everything positive he has done for the kid, but it does call into question his actions at that time.

1 Like

Sort of like adorning one with an African scarf and kneeling at the HOR.

Stupid panderers

4 Likes

Thatā€™s fine.

Permanent record?

I had to have the same conversation with my son. Every father should - itā€™s not racism.

My son was called a wetback in this country. Even though he flew here first class and has been a citizen from birth. By a kid with darker skin than him.

Richmond know what that feels like?

1 Like

There we goā€¦

Another great example of morons using props to prove their moronity.

Thatā€™s horrible and Iā€™m sorry you had to do that. I want nothing more than for this sort of thing to never have to cross any parents mind. Let alone having to actually have such a conversation.

No, I donā€™t believe Richmond knows what that specifically feels like. Just as parents who do not have black children know specifically what it is like to have a similar, yet different conversation with black children.

For whatever it is worth, Iā€™m in full agreement with you on the police issue. And most of the time it is not a race thing. It is a power and authority and training thing.