"Red Tide" Rick Scott (9-17-2018)

They got nothing on Trump and his rallies in that department.

1 Like

Who couldn’t love that face?

Well, that was short and sweet! It made me LOL. I happen to agree with every word :+1:

From your own article:

Scott declared a state of emergency in seven counties last month and directed $9 million in grant funding to help communities.

“While red tide is a naturally occurring algae that has been documented along Florida’s Gulf Coast since the 1840′s, Gov. Scott is fighting to use all available resources to help impacted communities, including declaring a state of emergency and providing millions of dollars in grant funding to Southwest Florida counties for cleanup and recovery efforts,” Hartline said, according to the Herald-Tribune.

The red tide is about a whole lot more than septic tank inspections or leaky septic tanks.
It’s about a whole lot more than “lawn” fertilizer which is regulated from June - September. My lawn service cannot use it on my lawn.

Then you have (I almost stopped reading there):

The phenomenon is common in the Gulf of Mexico, but scientists said that global warming has increased the size and location of the problem.

and a planned protest:

Scott was making a campaign stop in Venice, Fla., when he was met with angry protesters outside of Mojo’s Real Cuban restaurant on Monday,

So, Florida consists of protestors outside of a restaurant and @Dissident_Aggressor is on his own?

We covered that already, catch up.

Are they boo-hooing over the 9 million in grant money to help communities? Or that he declared a State of Emergency?

Red Tide has been documented since the 1800’s in Florida. :roll_eyes:

You have some catching up to do.

I know it is all in vogue with righties to deny that humans have any effect on the environment, but you need to inform yourself. There are serious problems in both FW and marine systems in Florida that are not to be dismissed.

It is a VERY big deal and @FloridaYankee has explained the jist of it. However, the Sugar Barons have been a very powerful influence in Florida going way back before Scott was elected.strong text

Generations of sugar cane farming has altered the chemistry of Florida’s biggest lake and a vast system of dikes and dams built to “drain the swamp” and create a retirement wonderland has killed half of the Everglades and put the rest of this vital wetland on life support.

"Back in 1994 we had an outbreak and it killed 196 manatee," says Bob Wasno, a marine biologist with Florida Gulf Coast University. “Everybody was just completely outraged. They yelled and jumped up and down and said ‘This is not going to happen again.’ Here we are 24 years later and this is worse than ever.” Florida's red tide: Scientists search for 'smoking gun' in a dead zone | CNN

So his cuts are not so wise knowing this history, huh?

:rofl::joy::rofl: What I dispute is the “global warming” claim. Look to big Sugar as a major cause, not septic tanks inspections. The water through our filtering system, the Everglades, has been diverted. WE FLORIDIANS have taken issue with this for years. It is neither a democrat nor a republican issue but an issue for all Floridians.

I live 20 minutes away from Sanibel Island and have seen the destruction first hand. So my dear, please get off your high horse about assuming who here needs to educate themselves.

Was Rick Scott Governor in 1994?

Read the OP

Read the posts. Educate yourself.

You really have no clue how reductions in watershed pollution are driven if you think a $700 million cut from the state’s water management districts and reduced staffing at Florida’s Department of Environmental Protection does not have an impact.

Great, show scientific evidence that the cuts impacted red tide. Don’t address the causes that have been attributed to the contributions of red tide, go ahead and blame cuts in government.

See, this is why you are clueless about the subject. Industries only respond to NOVs, cuts and reduced staffing reduce NOVs.

Okay, you have no research to have a discussion with and only have mud to sling instead.

“You’re clueless, etc.” is your best effort. :joy:

Just to start the conversation, Scott has:

• Slashed funding for the DEP and the five water districts;

• Laid off veteran DEP and water district employees, including Everglades scientists;

• Put the DEP in the hands of people connected to the industries the agency regulates;

• Emphasized helping industries avoid fines instead of prosecuting polluters.

• When Jeb Bush was governor, it took an average of 44 days for the DEP to approve a permit. Cutting that to two days means it’s now as easy to get a pollution permit from Scott’s DEP as it is to buy a Coke from a vending machine, said Jerry Phillips, a former DEP attorney who’s now in charge of the Florida chapter of Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility

• Under Scott, the driving force in the DEP became “a hatred of regulation in general and in particular environmental regulations,” one laid-off DEP veteran, Mark Bardolph, said.

Scott’s administration has cut the monitoring on the inflow of nutrients into the lake, has dismissed studies showing nitrogen and phosphorous levels in the lake are increasing, and gutted the Department of Environmental Protection and the state’s water management districts that enforce water protection laws, which resulting in dramatically fewer enforcement actions (i.e. NOVs). He even asked the Environmental Protection Agency for a waiver from federal monitoring entirely…

And as for “scientific evidence”, well that is an area that Rick Scott has ALSO decimated:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article215993665.html

• “No one is out on the lake collecting water samples of the bloom,” he said last month. “We’re flying blind.”

• While one crisis after another hit Florida, state and federal funding that paid for a massive coastal network with nearly three decades of information dwindled from about 350 stations to 115, according to Florida International University’s Southeast Environmental Research Center.

• That included Pine Island Sound, ground zero for the worst of the current red tide fish kills where sampling was halted in October 2007, and shutting down a 49-station network across the Florida Shelf started in 1995.

It goes on and on, he has has an impact in every aspect of this issue, from permitting, to enforcement, and monitoring. Like I said, GET A CLUE.