"Red Tide" Rick Scott (9-17-2018)

You are obviously a Scott supporter. Why is it that you think only those on “the left” are dissatisfied with him just because you’re not?

Since you didn’t use the quote function, I can only assume that you’re talking to me.

And I see you have a point - red tides form off shore and are not caused by septic tank issues, etc. (Although apparently not enough research has been done to see if fertilizer run-off, etc. heading out into the oceans is increasing the frequency these last 20 years, and with an understaffed EPA perhaps they can’t research it as thoroughly as they could otherwise.)

But what about the blue green algae that is polluting fresh water? Perhaps that is where the residents are upset with Scott because those blooms are related to what Scott could control.

The blue-green algae blooms tainting lakes, canals and rivers in south Florida are a different matter. Key drivers are water temperatures and pollution from humans, according to Tim Davis, a Bowling Green State University biologist who studies algae.

Lake Okeechobee has become a perfect petri dish for several strains of microorganisms in recent years, as a proliferation of farmland and towns has spilled nitrogen and phosphorous-based fertilizers into the watershed. The toxic stew was supercharged when Hurricane Irma forced a flood of additional polluted runoff into the lake. Cyanobacteria lapped up the extra nutrients, reproducing exponentially in Florida’s punishing summer heat.

Where, in the collection of words I assembled, do you see that argument?

I was talking to you and I did use the reply feature, but since my post directly followed yours, it gives no evidence of that, for some reason. I normally use the copy and paste function to quote, but I didn’t with your post because of the multi-quote.

At any rate, this thread is about red tide, and not the alge you’re referring to. But yes, I be curious to know what’s feeding that, as well.

Well that algae is also toxic and the forced releases to prevent dam issues killed marine life as well. It has not been a good year for Florida in either area…

The Maxine Waters strategy is pleasing to the democrats. Maybe she IS the leader of your party.

The red tide is being greatly exacerbated by nutrient runoff from both the land and water from Lake Okeechobee that is diverted to the coasts at the behest of sugar barons. A bloom typically lasts days or weeks, sometimes a few months. This is approaching a year with no end in sight.

Over 270 tons of dead sea life have been removed from beaches on Sanibel Island alone.

The green algae crisis is in the rivers and canals with the west coast hit hardest.

Rick Scott has done little but cater to the sugar barons. I just popped in for a minute, I don’t have time to go into more detail just now

1 Like

Thanks for your input. Some others seems to feel that it’s no big deal.

This is not remotely close to being true. Just for starters, one started in 1994 that lasted two years. And that wasn’t an anomaly.

What is not true? He didn’t state they can not be longer just what they typically last.

Also for the areas affected in FL right now it is a combination of Red tide that comes from off shore and the in some areas a Blue-green algae bloom caused from the Lake run off that he is talking about. Seems most people around here just refer it to the red tide

Fair point, but I got the impression from his post that this current bloom is a rare event in terms of duration. There have been six other blooms that have lasted as long or longer than the current bloom.

I will take your numbers in good faith but I have never seen one last this long in one place. It usually moves around from my experience. Ie the red tide lasts a long time but doesn’t remain in the same spot that long in my experience.

Water contamination WHO CARES MEGA.

Humans have no effect on naturally occurring alge blooms… none at all that is why we didn’t kill one of the largest sources of fresh water in the world once or anything,.

If only we had scientist who have been studying this for decades and could tell us.

oh wait we do.

Thank you for the background and insight here. It’s much appreciated!!

All that sugarcane? It’s heavily fertilized with high nitrogen chemical fertilizers with lots of runoff into waterways. That is a major culprit in your algae blooms.

2 Likes

Did I not mention fertilizer? That is what I meant by nutrient rich waters. What the can growers are doing and also what I said was they are diverting the water from it’s natural flow into the Everglades to the two coasts. If the water still went to the Everglades in a miles wide sheetflow much of the nutrients would be filtered out and/or consumed naturally. Also, Florida Bay is dying due to lack of freshwater inflow.

The rude, boorish type. The Democrats.