Record Number Not In Workforce

I suppose I should be thankful they didn’t get us all annihilated in a nuclear holocaust, but it was a close thing.

I think people should retire at 55-60. And I think if you choose to take in a year more income than what 99% of your workers make in their lives, you are a greedy/selfish person.

As technology moves forward education and skills become more important.

In the 1970s we had the Peace Corps. We produced so many doctors and engineers and teachers we exported them.

Now we import them.

Either way your point about the wages of unskilled labor may be accurate in some regard, but it would lead to fewer retirements and a larger labor pool so it would not explain a smaller labor force.

The smaller workforce is already explainable as discussed in the article. Baby boomers. And it’s a feedback loop regarding education. The distinction between education and wages is kind of silly. The fact is that again, companies don’t want to pay for it. Even though taxes have been on a consistent downtrend for 40 years and upper incomes grow exponentially. Because we as a country simply do not value education and good wages. Those who don’t have it WANT it. But as a collective, we’d rather spend trillions on military, rather than health and education. Not saying we need to tax, or government should step in, just saying that scapegoating taxes is wrong. The fact is that CEOs and shareholders simply don’t give a ■■■■ about workers. And neither does this country.

Can anyone here tell us what happens when there’s a skilled workforce shortage?

Upper income folks put the middle class into crippling student loan debt, refuse to pay for their education.

I’m sure Sean covered this on his shows yesterday.

1 Like

It’s worth a google. Come on. Try harder.

Sean Rush, Fox news and every poster here has ignored your true statement for 8 years.

1 Like

Illegals are net drain, they aren’t helping anything but themselves.

Babies.

What was the UE rate over the last 8 years?

Even with the US almost at full employment people are still going back to work.

The biggest years for the baby boom were from 52-62 and we’re at the point they are beginning to retire in large numbers. Even if the economy continues to improve at a higher rate for the next six or eight years the number of retirees will continue to accelerate as well for at least 5-6 of those years.

And their babies are a huge part of the net drain since over 70% of them are on various forms of welfare.

Hell, I hope to retire in 10, and I’m no baby boomer.

:grin:.

So are many of the redstate babies.

Net gain overall, if you want to keep up that GDP growth ya gotta keep havin babies.

But yes it’s somewhat of an issue that those who can least afford to have kids seem to be having the most.

Idiocracy.

I’ve been retired since I was 36. H is retiring in two years at the age of 62.

And, my kid, at age 24, is probably contributing more in taxes then most people on this board, and after only being in work force for 3 years. No student debt to worry about either.

It’s all about education - but stupid Conservatives don’t want to spend the money to make higher education affordable to everyone. They are so stupid they cut off their nose despite their face.

Can’t edit my post. to spite.

Most of those illegals are in the red states. Today half the kids born in the US are on various forms of welfare, but for illegals that rate is over 70%. Even half of all legal immigrant’s kids are on welfare of at least one type.

The difference is, those illegals have no right to be here in the first place and remain a huge drain on our resources in every way particularly the criminal justice system and the prison/jail systems.

Even if we had free college, grad and post grad education for everyone it would not change the equation much. Many people lack the mental capacity to ever benefit from it, many simply don’t want it, and most jobs in the US don’t require it.

What we need more than anything is to quit devaluing those who work in the trades, encourage far more of it, and quit spitting on those who will never be capable of more than just basic unskilled labor.