Reason for hope

The shelter in place here is a joke.

Construction sites are still running with multiple crews at a time.

Since it is considered “open air” it is exempt. Since when does that kill a virus left on surfaces?

Because everybody is conveniently forgetting that part. All they hear is 6 feet apart and think they can do as they wish if they follow that one rule.

It’s unfortunate but many don’t even follow that one rule. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m prognosticating a 0.025% after serum testing.

1 Like

Here in Utah fatality is under 1%

As of today:
21,065 Utah’s have been tested.
1,074 have tested posative (5% rate)
100 have been hospitalized (10% of those tested posative)
7 have died (just under 10%) of those hospitalized.
BUT the 7 our of 1,074 is .6 percent fatalility rate of those that have tested positive.

https://coronavirus.utah.gov/case-counts/

That’s great news

Could it be that a mistaken formula is at play here? 247 / the number of cases…not the number of people on the state.

I can never get those school busses out of my head. The ones that could have been used to evacuate the poorer people from the city, and them moved to higher ground in the process.

Instead they left the people sitting on bridges and buses sitting in the water because they did have enough people with a specific school bus endorsement on their licenses.

All turn east and bow to the regulatory state in a crisis instead of pulling your head out of your ass and waiving the requirement under an evacuation order!

Regulatory paralysis is our biggest impediment during an emergency. Unfortunately bureaucrats and elected officials would rather let people die than risk later being discovered to have circumvented a law or regulation.

You can be fired for the latter, even jailed.

Worse, some of them are such good little servants that they just simply will not deviate in anyway from the written disaster plan assuming those in charge even break them out.

Look at all of those who in the midst of this crisis have opposed circumventing the FDA regulatory process to treat patients with drugs and plasma that have yet to get approved and would rather see a repeat next fall/winter than see an emergency certification of a vaccine that could be fielded by fall.

Sometimes it’s just about the math and we have hell of a lot of drugs and treatments that have died off over the years because even though they might save 97-99.7:100 lives because .3-.03% of patients given them might die.

Particularly in an emergency I’m for emergency approval and informed consent.

“There’s a very small chance this vaccine may do you some harm but if we don’t give it to you there’s a very high likelihood you may die from CCV and kill dozens of others by spreading it”. You choose.

1 Like

There is an important reason for the “regulatory state” to approve medications.

Thalidomide was very effective for treating morning sickness.

1 Like

I really don’t have a problem with them taking all precautions working up a vaccine. The mortality rate isn’t such that we have to rush. I’d be cool with a rushed vaccine for those most at risk, though.

The mortality rate is nothing compared to the economic damage.

We can’t afford another hit like this.

Something like 7 million people filed for unemployment in the last week.

Look at the Good Captain of the Roosevelt! Regulatory cluster ■■■■ rising from the east. He tried to look out for his sailors, and got ■■■■■■■

1 Like

EDTA: Just saw the update.

He lost his command for leaking the letter to his hometown newspaper and instilling a panic in his crew rather than assuring them with a sense of calm.

Worse, he essentially acted on his own to take a carrier out of action by disembarking the crew without orders to do so.

He should be courts martialed but in the grand tradition of the Navy will probably be promoted and retired.

Correct.

Vaccines don’t take so long to make, especially against a class of viruses against which we’ve never made a successful vaccine, because of “regulatory paralysis”.

They take so long to make because they’re tricky to make.

People need to stop watching movies…lol…vaccines aren’t made the way they show in the movies.

There are hundreds of vaccines for corona viruses on the market already.

So much for that self professed insider industry knowledge and expertise.

We’ve been making them for animals for more than four decades. It’s anything but breaking new ground.

I’m talking about trials and whatnot. I can see an older at risk person being given a shot with a lesser trialed vaccine than running the full gambit coming up on November or so.

More importantly the HCW’s and FR’s who are most at risk of becoming carriers.

Even if you have partial immunity and don’t show symptoms you can pass viruses.

The tiers should be assuming we have another outbreak, the must vulnerable to die from it and the most likely to spread it.

If that goes well with acceptable risks then it would be irresponsible as hell to not put it in wide distribution immediately if it looks like we’re facing anything remotely resembling an outbreak of this scope.

Yes, a collapsed economy alone could easily result in more deaths across a broader portion of the population than this damned virus is capable of and that has to factor in.

1 Like

Seems like my state is on back side of this slope.

3 Likes

Your picture links don’t seem to be working Conan.