Re-instituting religion forum rule?

This post drips emotional insecurity. Try this, without attacking a religious person with rants on fairy tails and spaghetti monsters, or accusing them of being being emotionally insecure and ignorant, state your opinion while showing a little respect for others opinions. You can be objective without being abusive.

1 Like

Is it possible that a person’s religion can be a fairy tale?

Is the Flat Earth Society a fairy tale?

While I am not in favor of special rules, those who may be in favor are not afraid of being hurt. Look at it this way. People who are intent on discussing philosophy are continually interrupted by someone who wants to discuss fairy tales. If people have an interest in philosophy they fit right in! If they are interested in fairy tales, I often see a lot of wistful thinking in Politics. :wink:

No. I am a huge fan of mythology and fairy tales. Those who confuse fairy tales and mythology with religious philosophy do a great disservice to mythology and fairy tales.

Its really no different than Politics. People start a thread wanting to discuss say Trump and usually within 8 posts its Hillary this, or Obama this. Just don’t see why religious topics should be any different.

I haven’t done any of those things in an attacking way. So thanks for singling out the atheist in this echo chamber.

I’ve never “ranted” about fairy tails or spaghetti monsters. Call me emotionally insecure all you want I could care less lol. But call me Ishmael has been making the case in this thread that religion is used as an emotional tool like depression, and therefore we need to be super duper careful not to “hurt” someone (of course, never providing a concrete example) So maybe you should stop picking sides here (the echo chamber) and follow along more clearly.

There is no confusion a lot of time. Of course, since you are religious, you claim that your beliefs don’t fall under those categories.

Atheists have been around for many thousands of years writing what they believe. Many people go through their own spiritual evolution and pass through an agnostic or atheist phase. They likely read such writings. Some go on to discover and accept a spirituality that includes a belief in God and even an inner drive to behave in a certain way that they feel their creator wants them to behave.

And one of very common behaviors is called fellowship. Those that fellowship have likely already been through discussions with atheists… possibly even been fervent atheists themselves at one time. You arnt introducing anything new that they haven’t considered. Really. It’s 2018. You flatter yourself if you think you have some logic or reason that you will lay on the forum table that has not been considered a million times over the course of millennia and dozens of times by individual believers who may simply be looking for fellowship and like minded discussion for a short time. I’m sure some of them will also debate you in the appropriate thread or subforum and then you can WOW them with all with your brilliance and reason that eluded us for all our years.

What are you blabbering about? Oh of course you’re personally attacking me by characterizing me as someone who thinks of himself as super unique and wants to “wow” people. You’ve also called me obnoxious and compared me to westboro church members. Lol you have no credibility. I’m sorry I don’t believe what you believe. Deal with it.

Oh ya religious folks know it all and have seen it all therefore atheism in these discussions is stupid. Lol ya keep trying to shut us up

Ya and atheists are the ones personally attacking…

So it seems this thread is just turning into an excuse to attack atheists without any concrete references to personal attacks from atheists. How ironic.

I seek fellowship in the politics forum call me ishmael. You’d be the first to go under that rule. Unless of course there are more conservatives, then you can bully out the liberal dissent with your “rule”. @Call_me_Ishmael

A fictional God worshiped by a group of people in real life is no different than a fairy tale.

Ah, but He Who Is loved by a group of people in this life is much better than a fairy tale. He Is The Great Reality.

Here’s the thing, it’s a game for you. It’s a game because you ridicule those with deeply held religious beliefs with the above comments. You don’t intend on having a meaningful discussion. You’d rather troll the discussion, and yes, that is against tos. So feel free to enjoy and participate in the discussion in all the forums. But don’t violate the tos.

1 Like

It’s not about atheists, or censoring atheists It’s about polite and respectful posts when discussing religion. If someone is just nasty and slandering because their sect believes differently they should have to challenge themselves to be civil and have a seeking mind.

1 Like

I’m voicing my opinion. It’s not trolling. Why is it trolling if a person voices their opinion about religious beliefs? Plenty of religious folk say evolution is a myth/fairy tale. And I was DEFENDING religious people in that first post you quoted. I said it’s “ABSURD to think that people cling…”. Seriously. Get off your persecution complex. I mean geesh. Let me repeat since you obviously are cherry picking words to paint this here atheist in a bad light.

It’s ABSURD to think that some people cling so tight that they can’t have an honest discussion about what others believe or reject in the religious realm without being emotionally insecure.

See. It’s absurd to think people are that way. You agree right?

Come on people this is ridiculous.

I mean…i can’t even DEFEND the religious on this forum without being attacked. I straight up say it’s absurd to think people can’t handle criticism…so I get ganged up on. The baaaaaaaad atheist get him out of here