Racist Camelot-The Most Beloved Dem POTUS Ever

The things that come out…

“Sammy Davis Jr. helped to get JFK elected and then JFK and his campaign decided to pay Sammy back by not allowing him to go to the inauguration because he was part of an interracial marriage,” Donahue told Fox News. “It was Dean Martin who stood up for his friend and said, ‘I’m not going to be part of the inauguration if Sammy isn’t going.’ That really impressed me. He had a sense of honor. The more I got to know Dean Martin the man, the more I grew to truly love and admire him.”

Tsk, tsk

4 Likes

not surprised by this if true about Sammy DJr. racism is in the blood of democrats

4 Likes

Wow…another example of racist…Democrats? …but…but… :sunglasses: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Pathetic but probably true.

JFK was the head of a systemically racist government, after all. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Dean Martin grew up in a time when prejudice against Italian-Americans was also prevalent. My father and uncles employed African Americans in their construction business, treated, respected and paid them no differently than anyone else. My father and uncles told us of how being Italians although born in America they were looked down on and had their share of scraps with those who called them “dagos or Wops”. The insults continued into my generation but likely nothing our parents endured. I’ll be the first to applaud Dean Martino’s loyalty to Sammy Davis Jr. Our Dad never missed an episode of the “Dean Martin Show” or any of his movies either. I can still hear Dad singing “That’s Amore’” while laying brick up on that scaffold! LOL

3 Likes

Totally not my style if music, but that was really classy of Dean Martin.

As to the OP of course there was racism
It was 1960’s America.

Please note: as per the article, the issue was an interracial couple, and they didn’t want to offend Southerners. Is that racism or politics?

Also, note that Loving V. Virginia wasn’t until 1967, 6 years after Kennedy’s inauguration, 4 years after his death. Which means the marriage was illegal in some states.

In short: history and context deflates another pathetic Gotcha attempt.

2 Likes

I’m not sure a known, 60-year old story about racists being racists in America is all that much of a gotcha to begin with. I don’t know how much changed in 2-3 years, but in 1958, in these states, interracial marriage was illegal: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming.

Given that it was illegal in Maryland and Virginia, would it have been against the law for Davis to bring his wife to the inauguration? I think Nick Tosches may have written about this, generally, in his incredible biography of Dean Martin, Dino: Living High in the Dirty Business of Dreams.

Also: “Most beloved Dem POTUS ever” is a stretch. You think that many Democrats, say, under the age of 45 have that much of an investment in “Camelot,” or other romantic mythologies around the Kennedys? I don’t. Ands I live in MA.

It’s getting less and less useful to look at American politics through a Baby Boomer lens (and thank god for that).

3 Likes

and a systemically racist party

4 Likes

Exactly what those arguing against tearing down statues and honing in on the pre 1860 America as if it were today are saying.

1 Like

You just keep telling yourselves that over and over and over and over again, as 85-95% of African Americans continue to vote Democratic. It must be a problem with their perception, not yours, right?

1 Like

yeah, it is. look who they voted for, a life long known racist. of course its okay for him because its Different

4 Likes

So they’re stupid? Ignorant? Please explain.

try again. you obviously don’t know me

“Try again”?

So you’re asking me to explain why you think African Americans vote overwhelmingly Democratic? You could just, you know, tell me.

Yeah racism was par for the course- not that surprising.

Id also add that JFK was a mysoginistic womanizer who had serial affairs. Reporters didn’t report it like they have with Trump these days.

years of propaganda vilifying republicans. many likely feel there’s not much choice. the devil you know…

Indoctrinated.

2 Likes

46 million indoctrinated black people who just don’t get how good republican policies are for them. Hey by the way- what are those republican policies that are awesome for African Americans?

Americans.

When was the black poverty rate the lowest ever?

2 Likes