Quebec to ban declawing and other cosmetic animal procedures

No question and hence…he never went outside and he never tore up the furniture. Everybody wins.

Except for the amputated cat.

2 Likes

There are many ways to prevent cats from clawing up the furniture that don’t require surgical amputation of your pet’s toes.

Was going to say the exact same thing but figured someone had already said it.

Also we have libs here that never did any field work…so they have no clue why tails and ears and be cropped of for what purpose.

You’re not just removing the nails.

What you’re removing in declawing is the equivalent of removing your fingertips.

At least know what you’re doing with declawing,

Absolutely yes, they should.

Human beings aren’t the only creatures on planet Earth, and non human creations should also be treated humanely.

Vive le Québec!

Tell that to Fauci.

1 Like

I once worked with a nan who deeply regretted having his cat declawed, said it seemed to hurt the poor thing to even dig in the litter box.

Seeing the term “lib” thrown around on this thread, I’m proud to admit I’m a lib when it comes to humane treatment of animals.

Here’s the Oscar moment that should have gotten more discussion than the one that did:

1 Like

Most commonly owned modern dog breeds cannot survive in the wild at all in the first place. Cats are just as big of a responsibility as dogs are.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/maryland/articles/2022-03-10/maryland-ban-on-cat-declawing-purring-to-passage#:~:text=The%20Maryland%20measure%20bans%20declawing%2C%20unless%20it%20addresses,or%20aesthetic%20reasons%2C%20or%20for%20convenience%20in%20handling.

Here’s one U S state that has some sensible legislation. Here’s a second, plus some where it’s proposed:

I want to see all 50 plus protectorates ban this barbaric practice. It’s cruel and will leave the animals unable to defend themselves should they accidentally be let out.

I’m sure no one in their right minds would propose removing their dogs’ healthy teeth, but it’s OK to take a cat’s natural defense?! No it isn’t, nor should it be considered OK.

2 Likes

brought to you by the upholsterers’ union…

2 Likes

As long as you realize it will result in a lot of unwanted cats being dropped of to be euthanized instead.

1 Like

I’ll keep an eye on Maryland and New York.

If you don’t want to deal with what goes with owning a cat, you shouldn’t get one in the first place. It’s like getting a dog but you don’t expect it to pee in your yard.

1 Like

Cats with claws scratch furniture, people don’t like it, they get rid of the cat. That’s just reality. Don’t blame me for pointing out the obvious.

1 Like

It won’t, if you don’t house break it. :wink:

1 Like

If your state has a law banning declawing (amputation) and you don’t want your furniture scratched, don’t get a cat. Cats scratch. Only an idiot would bring home a cat and then be surprised that it scratches the furniture.

Sure that all makes sense, too bad that’s not how people always behave in the real world. Bottom line, less people will adopt or keep cats.

I agree that it could lead to fewer cats being adopted if people know they can’t amputate their toes. But people who already own cats have either already had them declawed or found other ways to prevent furniture scratching.

I’m sorry, what?

Have we never heard of such amazing options as cat nip toys and scratching posts?

Or that many shelters are going no kill?

Housing animals temporarily with individuals and families willing to foster them, and sometimes these temporary arrangements become permanent?

It would be wise to watch Maryland and New York to see if banning the cruelty of removing a cat’s natural defense leads to more surrendered animals.

Maybe cat owners there have some semblance of brains in their heads and know to anticipate scratching and prepare for it through everything from squirting the cats with water to posts.