Quebec to ban declawing and other cosmetic animal procedures

What breed of dog suffers if not cropped or docked, and why?

Hopefully the ban comes stateside so animals don’t have to lose dumb bets like this.

Many.

Name one…and why.

Hopefully people like you who know nothing about dogs lose. Nothing is worse than peta supporters.

Can’t name one can you?

The only exception will be when the procedure is deemed medically necessary by a veterinarian.

I can’t stand PETA, grew up on a farm and would never declaw a cat.

2 Likes

Tails. Some dogs wag their tails incessantly, slamming it into walls and furniture. This can lead to the tail splitting, getting infected, and going necrotic. It also makes a mess. It is virtually impossible to keep a bandage on tails like this.

Therefore, while I support the ban for cosmetic or prophylactic reasons as pups, I would also be okay with amputations in cases described above.

Ears. Big issue here is infections and hematomas. This can be prevented with regular cleaning and just paying attention to what’s going on with your dog. However, this problem is also quite rare, and the most common reason is simply cosmetic. I would support a ban on this.

Dewclaws. A vestigial appendage that often gets caught and torn. Extremely painful to the dog, and quite common. I remain okay with this as a prophylactic on pups.

De-clawing. Absolutely barbaric, an amputation of the first joint. A cat’s first line of defense, as well as an important means of getting around. Regular nail trims beginning early and redirection training obviate the need for this procedure except for the most extreme cases. I would only allow it if all other methods fail.

1 Like

Yes obviously for the health of a dog if it arises of course. But I asked the poster which BREED needs to be altered because it won’t be healthy if it’s not. There are none. Example…Dobermans and Boxers don’t need to be altered as pups for health reasons…its purely cosmetic.

:rofl: :heart:

Is it OK to give them puberty blockers and make them wear a muzzle 7 hours and 58 hours a day?

5 Likes

All of my cats have been front declawed. They aren’t allowed outdoors so they aren’t needed for defense. They are pretty spoiled so they get a nice life out of it.

Wouldn’t you rather just trim the cat’s nails?

Declawing is so final and invasive.

3 Likes

I can see you don’t need me to carry on both sides of the conversation. I’ll check back.

Yes, wholeheartedly.

1 Like

i wish those who declaw their cats had that done to them. its cruel and unnecessary in almost all cases. there are plenty of humane alternatives to decalwing. nail covers form one.

just make sure your cat has an appropriate place to scratch.

dont get me started on letting your cat outdoors to roam…

2 Likes

Docking was primarily done on large animal working dogs such as Rottweilers to keep the large animals from stepping on their tails. Today it’s mostly for aesthetic purposes, but it can still serve a role for dogs being used as herding dogs.

Docking is, for the most part, harmless. When performed young, the dog will never miss its presence. Dogs do not rely anywhere near as much on their tails for balance like Cats do.

Cropping is a bit more complicated. In the case of the German Pincher family (such as the Dobermann) it was done to allow the dog to angle their ears in the same manner as erect ear dogs such as the Spitz. It was believed (at that time) that it improved their directional hearing. Considering Pinchers were commonly used as guard dogs, that was considered a key part of their breed.

The Dobermann itself was specifically bred as a personal protection dog, since Louis Dobermann was looking to breed the ultimate protection dog to defend him while collecting taxes. Cropping the ears and docking the tail served another purpose; intimidation and the look of aggression. A personal protection dog’s first goal is to intimidate potential threats before a conflict begins. I won’t lie, a non cropped non docked Dobermann looks weird to me. They are supposed to look aggressive and intimidating, not cute. With flipped over ears and their odd ball tail, they look strange. Cute, but strange.

Cropping is a bit more harmful to the puppy it’s being performed on. Certainly more so than docking. It requires an experienced vet and unfortunately their is a high rate of failure, the where the ear can flop back down, meaning you caused the puppy pain for no reason.

So I’m mixed on cropping overall, despite it being a key feature of certain beeds’ history. Docking I’m fine with.

As for declawing cats, I’m with the left on this one. That ■■■■ should be banned. Declawing a cat is no different than defanging a rattlesnake. They literally cannot defend themselves from other cats or predators. If they get lost outside, they have no way to forage for food. It cuts off their means of escape from danger, since many cats natural instinct is to climb a tree to get to safety.

1 Like

Michael Vick was fighting pit bulls and slaughtering the ones who couldn’t fight.

There’s no comparison between that and docking and cropping.

1 Like

But if he had ever escaped from the house he’d have been dead. A stray male cat would have torn him to shreds without him having a way to defend himself.