Protest at Apple Iphone (Foxconn) factory turns violent

Given that the employees at Apple’s main production plant in China

• are not allowed to go anywhere else
  • are locked down
  • are walled in
  • have to accept whatever food, housing and pay the factory wants to give them
    and
  • cannot legally get any other job in China

There is not a whole lot of difference between Iphone produces and slave labor
anyway the growing number of escapes and protests are now turning violent.

1 Like

Here’s a video purportedly from the uprising.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1595518485496471552

1 Like

For the longest time, I always thought North Korea was the embodiment of 1984, of Big Brother. But they just don’t have the technological ability. Yet.

China on the other hand is well equipped, and apparently hell bent on taking up the mantle.

4 Likes

And to think China is libs role model. Libs also love the idea of switching covid passport to code red.

That is what “some” libs in America were pushing.

3 Likes

Americans are going to regret it if we don’t develop a good, popular contact tracing app now. Next pandemic might not be so mild.

China’s bad behavior isn’t an excuse for unpreparedness.

2 Likes

That’ll be the day.

And we get our stuff cheap and can say none of it was our fault.

1 Like

Alas. When it happened, I agreed with bringing China into the WTO. I was naive, but greater minds than mine failed to see the impact of tech.

Mostly peaceful workers
using mostly peaceful pieces of lumber
to express themselves at a white suit clad riot police in China.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1595586273976139777

1 Like

Man, I wish that country would rise up, but they just don’t have it in them. Decades of this have institutionalized them.

3 Likes

You are not wrong,
but history has also shown that sometimes uprisings are not always led by the people we might want. Multiple generations of propaganda mean that in China, ideologies are no longer Chinese Communism vs. something like Western
democratic Pluralism.

3 Likes

Good point.

1 Like

Keep the faith!

Can we use a similar technology to make sure only registered voters vote?

2 Likes

That’s just one more thing Republicans will sue endlessly over because of gremlins in the app. I wouldn’t want to pay for that in my state.

There’s both a positive and negative side to this. Isn’t it too bad that our federal government can’t be trusted?

The federal government can be trusted to abuse whatever power they have.

Since 1970, the forms of government in the US and China have moved closer together. China is far less repressive than it was under Mao, and it allows far greater economic freedom.

Meanwhile the US government has become more repressive with universal electronic surveillance and state censorship. The COVID lockdowns have proven that the Bill of Rights can be revoked at the slightest pretext.

In both countries we are heading towards a Potemkin village where serfs will own nothing and have zero privacy. But they will “be happy”. Superrich oligarchs will own everything and run everything to their benefit. Any reports that contradict the official narrative will be ruthlessly suppressed.

1 Like

Robust public options in every oligarch playground can stop that future. Schemes of the rich are already far beyond the reach of a working man’s wallet, but not beyond the reach of his vote.

All the feds have to do is grant a tax break or credit for using an app. They don’t even have to develop one themselves, if the idea of a government app is unpalatable. There’s not much to abuse.

We really can’t be here in 2035 depending on call centers to trace the path of oblivious super spreaders. That’s just too slow to be effective, as we’ve seen.

So you like labor unions, then? Because in China attempting to form one gets you a 12 year prison sentence.