Property Taxes in Texas

In NYS we have STAR and Enhanced STAR. That reduces one’s school tax by a certain amount depending on income. ESTAR is for people over 65.

It’s not much of a deduction though - a few hundred $’s.

Then for some reason the last few years everyone has been getting a $300 or so check every year from the state as a prop tax refund. I asked H about it and he said it’s political.

Of course, we pay approx $10k/yr so it certainly doesn’t make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

I paid $7300 in just school tax last week. In January I’ll pay another $2800ish for town/county tax.

My son is grown and gone and we sent him to private high school. Every year I vote yes on my school district’s budget because it is part of my civic duty to educate the children in my state - even if I don’t avail myself of those services.

I have no idea what you’re babbling about. I thought you were leaving.

Easy son. You’re reaching.

Hardly, not even extending a finger. “Son”? :joy:

Nah. I decided to make some Abe Simpson jokes while I finish up the beer I am drinking.

I… like a certain judge… like beer.

Do you like beer?

Kid. When you act like a fool, i’m going to treat you like one.

I don’t have a drinking problem. You have a drinking problem.

That just cracks me up every time I see that reference.

1 Like

I could be blackout drunk right now. Who knows?

Do I even know?

1 Like

Never said it had to be pretty.

I’ve been black out drunk a few times in my life. I didn’t know it at the time, and I didn’t remember it the next day.

I did wonder why I had so many purple items in my inventory the next day though.

1 Like

I dont live in texas can I not pay for the border wall

1 Like

Seriously, then younger people’s taxes would have to be raised to cover the burden of the free riders. We’ve already had this discussion. That time, you didn’t want other people getting a tax break because you didn’t want to have to pay more to cover the difference.

Property taxes have their advantages. Like ensuring that our nice area stays nice and the money doesn’t go out of area. :smile:

Nicer schools.

Nicer **** in general. :smile:

Nicer high school football fields

I’m for a locked-in and heavily discounted amount for seniors. Exemption changes if you do anything commercial with the property. If you’re ag-exempt? No. If you lease land to hunters, nope. If you host a craft shop in the garage, no…etc. Also, the federal estate tax needs to consider that we don’t need multi-generational owned land given a 40% tax bill each time that same spot of land is handed down to the next generation.

Because I don’t think you should be land rich and money poor and lose the family home because your taxes went up 10% year after year and you used up all your equity to pay the taxman at a time in your life you and our society should be happy with you slowing down.

Naw I want civilization to respect it’s elders who already paid their due.

Sure you do.

I consider that and make adjustments elsewhere.

We’re the richest ■■■■■■■ society in the history of the world. Texas swims in cash and yet you can’t get a road here without it being a private toll. We’re doing this alllll wrong.

And our schools suck.

We don’t have an income tax. In our infinite wisdom we then decided that grandpa’s house and quarter acre garden gotta pay for that while we shoot corporate tax breaks out of confetti cannons.

The worst case scenario is that even though our schools suck at least someone is babysitting these animals 9 months of the year.

Yes,including a few of the greatest on earth.

I’ll venmo/cashapp/paypal you $50 if you post a video of you doing that while repeating hwyflier hwyflier hwyflier right now.

1 Like

Athletic facilities aren’t much to speak of around here. Due to the small size of our rural schools, our athletic facilities, including football fields, are pretty rudimentary.

I’ll throw in 10

Not particularly. I did when I was 17. A lot.

Like I said, I’m smarter than you. I don’t disrespect my elders.