Private Border wall being built!

This is great news! People are tired of there property being used for drug smuggling and human trafficking. So they are allowing privately funded border fences to be built on their property. This example connected two 41 mile stretches of barrier, effectively making a 82 1/2 mile long wall. The bad news? In some cases local anti border local governments are intervening and forcing them to stop construction. Disregarding private property rights.

As long as they’re in zoning compliance with the local communities, I don’t see a problem, it’s their land.

4 Likes

And as long as governments do not re-define their zoning in order to shut down projects they don’t like. Which we know does happen.

rezoning happens all the time. whats good one day, isnt the next.

Allan

You have to live in a community with other people. They could have bought Sealand and ruled their own country if they didn’t want to worry about zoning.

From the article, it doesn’t sound like these people are from New Mexico, so they are foreigners buying land to enforce political doctrine. The community might have something to say about that.

I know it’s a dirty game. If government doesn’t like what people are doing on their own property, they rezone. It’s political and it should not be.

What is the political doctrine you are referring to?

They aren’t. From the article:

“For example, Perea said, city ordinances requires walls to be under six feet. The border stands at roughly 20 feet, with seven feet buried beneath the ground. Nor was a necessary environmental survey completed, he said.”

Then they have to tear it down, at their own expense. You don’t get to ignore laws you don’t like. No one is a king in the US.

2 Likes

Maybe doctrine was the wrong word. Let’s go with political position.

I suppose they could just cut it down to 6 ft lol, that would be amusing.

The example that I linked has already been built. I’m guessing that they had the required permits to do it.

You might be surprised how many people will build things without pulling permits because they know they won’t be approved so they just build the structure anyway.

Then, they say “what do you want me to do, tear it down?”

That may be, but in other places it isn’t gonna happen.

This wasn’t a backyard deck built by “people” It was built by professional contractors who understand the permit process.

Apparently not if they don’t know what the local ordinances are.

Or they disregarded them because this is a politically charged issue and they care more about making news then actually completing a usable section of wall.

I have seen professional contractors ask if the people want permits pulled. If they don’t, the contractor makes a note of it for future litigation.

That is up to the land owner. They should pull permits, but they don’t always do.

This is the truth, just got windows done and was prompted with this very question. Lots of work can be done without ever hitting the cities radar… if you want.

So you think they will be tearing down the wall Mr. Gorbachev? Let me know as soon as that happens. Will you?