Potential timeline for further Kavanaugh nomination proceedings

With the hearings wrapping up, the timeline for further Kavanaugh nomination proceedings is tenuous at this point.

This is my best guess as to how things will play out.

Most likely, he will NOT be on the agenda for the Thursday, September 13 Senate Judiciary Committee Executive Business Meeting. Just too short of a turnaround, plus a large amount of holdover business is scheduled for that day.

So he likely will be on the agenda for the Thursday, September 20 Executive Business Meeting. The minority will certainly exercise its privilege to have the nomination “held over” for one week, meaning that he will likely get his Senate Judiciary Committee vote on Thursday, September 27.

If Senator McConnell handles this in the same manner as he handled Gorsuch’s nomination, the nomination will likely be brought up for consideration on Monday, October 1, just as the Supreme Court is convening for the first day of the October 2018 Term and the first day of the October sitting.

Most likely, a confirmation vote would be held Thursday or Friday of that week, with Kavanaugh taking his commission sometime during the weekend and likely being sworn in the morning of October 8, and sitting with the court for the second week of the October sitting.

Most likely, Kavanaugh misses the Long Conference which will be held on September 24 and the first week of the October sitting.

Well, evidently Grassley is going to push it up by a week, which make for very hectic Executive Business meetings this Thursday and next Thursday.

The below is the agenda for this week’s Executive Business meeting. Under the rule, the Democrat’s will be able to “hold over” Kavanaugh’s nomination by one week, so a vote on that nomination will likely occur on Thursday the 20th, with floor proceedings occurring the final week of September.

If Grassley and McConnell can pull off this expedited schedule, Kavanaugh could be on the court in time for the opening of the October 2018 Term and the beginning of the October sitting.

In any case, he will still almost certainly miss the Long Conference on Monday, September 24.

AGENDA

I. Nominees

Brett M. Kavanaugh, to be an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States

Ryan Douglas Nelson, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit

Richard J. Sullivan, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Second Circuit

Jonathan A. Kobes, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Eighth Circuit

Gary Richard Brown, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of New York

Stephen R. Clark, Sr., to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Missouri

Diane Gujarati, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of New York

Eric Ross Komitee, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of New York

Rachel P. Kovner, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of New York

Lewis J. Liman, to be United States District Judge for the Southern District of New York

John M. O’Connor, to be United States District Judge for the Northern, Eastern and Western Districts of Oklahoma

John L. Sinatra, Jr., to be United States District Judge for the Western District of New York

Mary Kay Vyskocil, to be United States District Judge for the Southern District of New York

Joshua Wolson, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania

Kenneth D. Bell, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of North Carolina

Stephanie A. Gallagher, to be United States District Judge for the District of Maryland

Mary S. McElroy, to be United States District Judge for the District of Rhode Island

Carl J. Nichols, to be United States District Judge for the District of Columbia

Martha Maria Pacold, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of Illinois

Mary M. Rowland, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of Illinois

Steven C. Seeger, to be United States District Judge for the Northern District of Illinois

Jason R. Dunn, of Colorado, to be United States Attorney for the District of Colorado

Dallas L. Carlson, of North Dakota, to be United States Marshal for the District of North Dakota

James W. Carroll, Jr., to be Director of National Drug Control Policy

II. Bills

S. 2961, Victims of Child Abuse Act Reauthorization Act of 2018 (Blunt, Coons, Grassley, Durbin, Cornyn, Klobuchar, Tillis, Hirono)

S. 3354, Missing Children’s Assistance Act of 2018 (Grassley, Feinstein, Hatch, Tillis, Klobuchar, Blumenthal)

S. 3170, CyberTipline Modernization Act of 2018 (Cornyn, Feinstein, Hatch, Leahy, Tillis, Klobuchar,

Blumenthal)

S.2785, DETER Act (Durbin, Graham)

S. 3178, Justice for Victims of Lynching Act of 2018 (Harris, Scott, Feinstein, Leahy, Durbin, Whitehouse, Klobuchar, Coons, Blumenthal, Hirono, Booker)

Is the noise about perjury and Merrick Garland any factor at all? I mean in a liberal’s wildest fantasy could it actually delay these proceedings?

i doubt it, best bet is you impeach him after

The perjury talk is pretty much just a desperation move by some extreme left Democratic PAC’s. I have yet to see any mainstream people give any credence to such talk at this point.

dude he lied…

The sooner this farce ends, the better. Dems are making fools of themselves. Even Politifact called out Kamala Harris on her lies.

It’s one thing if Dems oppose him on ideological grounds. That is to be expected. But they aren’t doing that, instead it’s been a smear job.

Four legal experts who spoke to Vox disagree with you.

As @Safiel says, it’s just a left wing fantasy. Even Vox isn’t buying it.

Yeah…I expect they would try to get it done before Oct.

To put it bluntly, short of putting together a criminal case that would result in a conviction, accusations of lying aren’t going to stop this confirmation. Yes, crap happened.

As we both know, that doesn’t matter anymore.

Both parties excuse their own **** and have done so for a long time.

Prior to the 1980’s something like this likely would have stopped the confirmation process, but so much has happened between then and now, the public is neither shocked nor surprised at accusations of lying.

Perhaps a criminal case might be filed against Kavanaugh post confirmation. He might be convicted. He might even be impeached.

But none of that matters NOW.

It should, but it doesn’t.

In any event, Kavanaugh would not have been my choice by any means. A number of superior choices existed.

And Republicans know that if Kavanaugh’s nomination fails, they will not be able to process another nomination prior to the election.

Trump has put Senate Republicans between a rock and a hard place.

BTW, my main issues with Kavanaugh are ideological, rather than the perjury accusations.

I would prefer a more libertarian leaning nominee.

This has already been debunked by many people. It’s just another smear job by desperate leftists.

I already posted a link to Vox, here is another legal person who debunks it

First of all, the lodestar leaker raised the prospect of the 25th, and second, there’s a very real call to investigate Kavanaugh possibly committing perjury while serving in the Bush administration. It’s not some hypothetical thing. I’m not discussing the merits of the claim. I’m asking if it can possibly impact the timeline of the confirmation.

Why are you talking about the 25th? This thread isn’t about Trump.

You are off topic here.

He passed gas, said “I’m sorry” but… you have proof he wasn’t sorry? That lie?

Dude YOU brought it up, unsolicited, in a thread where Trump wasn’t ever mentioned.

Do you even know what the perjury accusation is about? It’s obscure, which is why I asked Safiel, who seems to know what he’s talking about when it comes to the judicial branch, if it could have any effect.

Raymond Kethledge

Hear! Hear!

I never said it would stop it…just that if he lied then down the road we can always look to impeach him…FDR as I am concerned if trump colluded and stole the election the whole trump era should be annulled