Pope Francis calls for civil union law for same-sex couples

Well color me surprised. That’s a radical step.

Matthew 20 And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription? 21 They say unto him, Caesar’s. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s; and unto God the things that are God’s.

Personally…I think it’s the right thing. A civil union is from Ceasar’s world, not The Lord’s and homosexuality is a part of Ceasar’s world. A marriage is that same union but has The Lord’s Blessing. They are two very different things to a Christian but appear the same in Ceasar’s world.

2 Likes

All state sanctioned unions should be civil unions and churches should deal in marriage.

2 Likes

Any reason we need a state to sanction any union?

It’s a contract like a business partnership, and gives parties legal recourse against each other. Also it makes sure the relationship is consensual.

1 Like

Ah, yes. Let’s first govern the relationship and then govern it further as it falls apart. People don’t have the ability to work these things out for themselves…

1 Like

It’s all about money and property.

“Homosexuals have a right to be a part of the family. They’re children of God and have a right to a family. Nobody should be thrown out, or be made miserable because of it,” Pope Francis said in the film, of his approach to pastoral care.

Why do they have a right to be a part of “the” family? Why do they have a “right” to a family?

If someone wants to throw them out of a family then what about their rights?

I don’t make the rules I just live here

:smile:

The Pope, like the rest of society, is addressing the wrong issue. Thousands of years before Christ, the Bible records the observations of ancient man. An undisciplined society is a society heading for its downfall. When are the signs that a society is becoming undisciplined? The final chapters of Genesis point to sexual mores.

And don’t look at homosexuals. Look back. Look back to when married couples wanted no fault divorce and the right to marry again, and then maybe again. Look back to when young people didn’t see any reason to wait for a committed, married relationship to have sex. Look back to when people shrugged their shoulders when hearing of those unfaithful to their marriage vows.

About half the married population will divorce. Cheating spouses is thought to be as high as seventy percent. Seventy-five percent engage in per-marital sex.

Let the Pope call for heterosexuals to clean their own house before deciding he knows what is best for the homosexual community. Something about removing the log from one’s own eye before trying to tackle the splinter in another.

1 Like

I can’t disagree with anything you said. :wink:

Look back. Look back to when married couples wanted no fault divorce and the right to marry again, and then maybe again.

Yeah that’s bad.

Is there something better than divorce and remarriage? Another statistic is that subsequent marriages are more likely to fail. So why not look for the better option.

why not look back even further when men had multiple wives. or when marriage was more of. apolitical tool

1 Like

The problem with polygamy is…?

As men and women age, the number of available men for women to marry declines. Men, owing to naturally higher levels of testosterone, are naturally predisposed to take more risks and risks at higher levels, leading to death at earlier ages.

Allowance for more than one wife allows for women to have an alternative to being single, or being a mistress whose children are abandoned.

Just how much more dignified is the modern “baby daddy” and “baby momma” culture than a man who supports more than one wife and any children? In Islam, a man who cannot treat equitably up to four wives is advised per the Qu’ran to have only one.

https://www.al-islam.org/introduction-rights-and-duties-women-islam-ayatullah-ibrahim-amini/islam-and-polygamy

Won’t comment on Pope Francis & civil unions as the last person to care if same sex couples want to form state sanctioned partnerships. There was commentary in a similar thread about “leaving to Caesar what is his, and to the Lord what is His”, the civil unions being Caesar’s, which I agree. I also think heterosexuals need to clean their own homes before condemning those of gay & lesbians.

im all for the civil unions

1 Like

Yeah.

The young of the modern period are doing such a great job at that, using their parents’ divorces as excuses to remain boyfriend & girlfriend, baby mommy & baby daddy.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:. Can’t they even use their own bad experiences? Still riding mommy & daddy’s coattails in the 20s & 30s?

These are the same individuals who simply don’t know what they’ll do when they turn 27 (:exploding_head:) and are no longer eligible for coverage on a parent’s plan. They’re the same people who need Obamacare plans ‘cause they can’t afford a group health plan, but always find money lying around for tattoos, cigarettes and cell phones, who blame degrees & employers for their being broke, the same women who insist “I don’t need me no mayan to raise no baby”, yet lament they got no money as the kid gets older.

Yup. The average young man & woman in the modern era does such a wonderful job thinking for him/herself. Personally I have more respect for those societies where family arranged marriages are still the norm than for this nonsense.

I agree with Sylvia on throwing children out of the family:

All parts of marriage that involve the government are “civil unions” in that they are secular agreements that carry certain protections and rights.

The religious parts of marriage are left up to the church and never the twain should meet.

That is why the whole argument is super stupid.

And I never believed that the argument was over the word “marriage”