Pompeo and Lavrov: Competing Narrative

I think most here saw or heard Lavrov’s denial of Russian interference in the 2016 election. I didn’t think Pompeo pushed back enough, but Pompeo says he made himself very clear.
What seems odd to me, is that if Pompeo made it clear that it was unacceptable and made expectations clear… why did Lavrov go out and say what he said?

“I was clear. It’s unacceptable, and I made our expectations of Russia clear,” Pompeo said. “The Trump administration will always work to protect the integrity of our elections. Period. Should Russia or any foreign actor take steps to undermine our democratic processes, we will take action in response.”

Should he have declared war on Russia instead?

He’s the SoS, he’s supposed to act like the adult in the room and he doesn’t need to rant, rave, stomp his feet, or threaten war to get his point across.

I wasn’t implying he should rant, rave and stomp his feet.

I did ask a question though.

“I don’t think Pompeo pushed back enough”.

He made his point, Lavarov understood and is simply responding with the king of propaganda we expect to see from the Russians. He’s playing to his audience, the Russian People.

It is pretty telling that the WH readout cited that Trump warned Lavrov about election meddling to which Lavrov would not confirm. And it was Lavrov’s second visit to the WH while the President of Ukraine is still waiting for his first.

How is it" Telling" exactly? Typical of the Russians.

I didn’t think Pompeo pushed back enough, BUT Pompeo says he made himself very clear.

I was trying to give Pompeo more credit than I originally gave him when I had only heard Lavrov. Amazing how one word can change the meaning of a sentence.

Were you intentionally trying to change the meaning of my post?

I didn’t change anything. I quoted you exactly and we both knew the context.

You quoted exactly half of one sentence, BUT perhaps I was inartful in how I wrote it.
Does this make it more clear?

I think most here saw or heard Lavrov’s denial of Russian interference in the 2016 election. I didn’t think Pompeo pushed back enough, but Pompeo seems to have pushed back more than I originally thought.
What seems odd to me, is that if Pompeo made it clear that it was unacceptable and made expectations clear… why did Lavrov go out and say what he said?

“I was clear. It’s unacceptable, and I made our expectations of Russia clear,” Pompeo said. “The Trump administration will always work to protect the integrity of our elections. Period. Should Russia or any foreign actor take steps to undermine our democratic processes, we will take action in response.”

1 Like

The operative clause is what I quoted, what follows is a sideline.

That is what I responded to.

We don’t know exactly what was said in their closed door meeting but Pompeo is not a man to mince words nor difficult to understand.

Lavrov is doing exactly what you’d expect, he’s playing to his own domestic audience.

I agree. Pompeo doesnt seem like a man to mince words. If Pompeo was direct and clear as he states, and Lavrov went out there and made those statements of innocence anyway…
That would appear to be a lac of respect to Pompeo. Is there a poor relationship between these two? Does Lavrov have a relationship with Trump that supersedes his relationship to Pompeo?

I’ll take Pompeo at his word that he was very clear, but then why wold Lavrov just dismiss Pompeo.

1 Like

Just typical Russian propaganda. They’ll never be honest in public if it makes Russia look weak.

It is unlikely he would make a statement that would directly contradict his US counterpart, unless he was confident there would not be any backlash.

Did Obama push back enough IYO and did you ask the same questions then, as now? Are your standards equally applied to Pompeo as yourself? I don’t think any Democrat pushed regarding this until…Trump was elected? Now…it’s all important to Dems as they’ve wasted our country’s valuable time and resources for over two years alleging collusion for no other purpose but to obstruct the current Administration and divide this nation. Now this thread is asking, did Pompeo push back enough? I have a question too? Will any lib ever find anything positive to say about Trump, his Administration or any of his accomplishments? Seriously…ever or will TDS rule their minds for…ever?

Since Pompeo is a Trump stooge, and Trump loves Russia and sides with them over US intelligence, I am not surprised that Pompeo didn’t stand up for US intelligence report.

1 Like

That’s some baaah baaaah baaaaah whatbaboutism right there. The kind of baaaaah baaaaaah baaaaaah whataboutism that Farmer Trump and ConspiracyTube love.

Dems didn’t waste that time and money. Mueller was put in place by the Trump administration. Baaah baaaah baaaaaahd blame trying to be redirected.

Amazing that you were able to restate the question without actually answering.

Since we’re answering questions with questions, when will Trump EVER be held accountable, or to blame, or at fault for ANYTHING?

1 Like

Only God can judge Trump.

1 Like

I kinda agree here but he is also playing the american audience to further divide.

Don’t be so harsh on Trump. :rofl:

Hes a politician…he minces words.