Polls Find Evangelicals Stopped Caring About Moral Politicians After Trump’s Election

Evangelicals voted for trump because he was brought to us by God.

https://twitter.com/godsprophecynow/status/1121165557699473408?s=21

I’ll also add that there’s a subset of evangelicals who were never religious and only practice on Sundays. They have used religion as a way to segregate their kids from the kids they didn’t want them to be around.

I’ve watched it happen in my own community. I even see some of them, after their kids graduate and go to college, go back to their old nasty ways.

It’s just a mask that’s worn for a while to accomplish a goal.

1 Like

Exactly what Trump did.

1 Like

That particular line has always sickened me.

1 Like

My parents are super conservative, super evangelical, very pragmatic, sweet people. I love them not only as parents but as human beings, they’re the real deal.

They voted libertarian and were diametrically opposed to Trump. But it’s only taken two years of slowly getting back into conservative radio for my dad to toss all of that out the window. He’s fully indoctrinated for Trump now. It’s hugely disappointing but we do not talk about it.

1 Like

the conservative movement pioneered this notion during the clinton years.

Our host’s career was made by his fervent preaching of this ideal during the Clinton years. It literally made hi the start he is today.

2 Likes

That’s because you can.

I think Trump is more a case of tapping into and attempting to legitimize an existing culture.

So have dems. And very loudly of late.

Well yeah, they aren’t accustomed to having some measure of moral high ground LOL.

1 Like

I’m thinking even further back than that - say, Falwell’s formation of the Moral Majority. After that a politician needed heavy Christian/moral cred to win any support from evangelicals.

Clinton just served as a convenient flash point to rally the troops around. Now? It’s all about “I voted for the policy, not the man.” It’ll stay that way until Donald’s out of office, then they’ll go right back to donning sackcloth and ashes over the moral decline of America and how we need godly leaders to deliver us unto the Promised Land.

2 Likes

There had to be a poll??? Really???

Right?

It’s just too funny. The moral majority. Lindsay Graham and Gingrich pounding their fists about “if the president will lie about this then we cannot trust him in general. If he’d betray his wife he might betray America”. Focus on the family. The family research council. “Family values”. I grew up in the thick of that ■■■■■ My parents were all in. My church was allll in. Family this, family that.

5 seconds of Trump fever and that’s all out the window. Huh? What? We never demanded our politicians be moral as long as they get the job done”. What a ■■■■■■ load that was.

3 Likes

I remember when being divorced was a no-go if you were to run for President.

1 Like

The religious right never really cared about morality in politics to begin with.

2 Likes

What will you go back to?

Are you a member of the religious right?

I’ll stay right where I’m at, tyvm.

You won’t go back to “it was only sex”?

What has Trump done immoral since he took office? Lie? They all do that.