Poll for the unvaccinated (re: FDA approval)

On a local news site’s comment board, someone posed the question “If you aren’t vaccinated, why not?” There were the usual comments - don’t trust the vaccine, already had covid, religious reasons - but one reason that came up, and which I have also heard from a few people (mostly younger people) is that they would prefer to wait and get the Novavax vaccine, since it’s not an Messenger RNA therapeutic, but a “true” vaccine. There seems to be some holdup on approvals for the Novavax vaccination, don’t know much about it except that its said to be highly effective.

1 Like

The J&J is a traditional vaccine and it’s already available.

3 Likes

I thought they were producing a booster.

Who would take Pfizer at this point? It’s much less effective than Moderna against Delta. So maybe add that to the poll, Pfizer isn’t effective against delta as a reason.

In a pandemic, everyone’s health is everyone’s business.

1 Like

While it doesn’t not guarantee you will not contract coivd, it lowers your chances signifigantly. most importantly, it nearly eliminates your chance of dying from the virus.

I have a relative interested in that one. She’s being extremely cautious until then.

Chances which are already very, very low if you don’t have underlying conditions.

1 Like

Probably would be even lower if Biden would stop his Super Spreader immigration policy.

2 Likes

Good question. Which vaccine shows more efficacy against the Delta variant?

Last I looked Moderna was like 72% and Pfizer 42% or around there. I took the Pfizer earlier but if I had it to do over it would be Moderna.

Well, this will be an interesting debate in the medical community, I’m sure…

The results raise questions about whether it could be more effective to have doses of different vaccines, rather than multiple doses of the same one, especially if a third, booster dose is to be considered. Georg Behrens, an immunologist at Hanover Medical School in Germany, says that mixing vaccines could increase their effectiveness. The immune system reacts differently to different types of vaccine — and this could be exploited to trigger a better overall response. “Using a vector-based one first and then something that has no vector, but the same antigen, absolutely makes sense,” says Behrens.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02261-8

I took the Moderna.

There is a Novavax out there trying to get approval which is a traditional vaccine like J&J i suppose.

Have a relative interested in that one.

Didn’t you have some pretty bad side effects?

Here is the data from a recent study.

I don’t understand it - during delta prevalence, only 24 out of 2,300 vaccinated front line workers tested positive for covid, but that translates to a vaccine effectiveness of only 66%?

That’s 1% of the cohort testing positive.

I did indeed. Now i’m being told the effectiveness runs out after about 8 months.

I have the thorny decision of risking the covid or risking another bad vaccine effect. :man_shrugging:

I have a 6 months Dr appointment next week (have a great Dr) and am going to talk to him about it.

Also if it is safe to switch to a more traditional vaccine after already having had the Moderna.

Easy to understand, you obviously wouldn’t expect all of them to get it if unvaxxed. So percent of total isn’t meaningful.

Ah - right…

But then 3.9% of the unvaxxed group tested positive. 1% of the vaxxed group…

how does that become 66%?

and what are the numbers in parentheses? The 26-84?

I got the Moderna, but my wife got the Pfizer and since if she gets covid I’ll most likely get it from her, it pretty much cancels out my advantage.

How bad were your side effects? For me it was about 24 hours of feeling under the weather. I just took the day off and slept a lot.