Politics In Retail Transaction Question

That’s human nature. We would probably all be more likely to be friendly toward someone we see as “safe” in regards to our beliefs than someone who we would see as adversarial.

1 Like

Very honest. I appreciate that. But I have a thing where I dont like people assuming anything about me. It’s absolutely a privacy issue. The defensive reaction of that person not knowing me. So just for me, I don’t like political assumptions whether some person is right or wrong. Either way, I’d be annoyed. But that’s just me.

1 Like

What if it were something religious?

Not someone visiting your house wanting to prosletyze, but out visiting a store or something and someone says “Have a blessed day.”

Even though I’m an atheist, I just say “Thanks, you too.”

I do also. Or some variation. And I always appreciate when people will pray for me.

You give him a condescending “judgey pissey” answer and then get offended at his?

You were leading with your chin.

Such conversations are pretty common and always have been, he was just being friendly until your own attitude took things south.

Seriously Wildrose?

Seriously.

A smile and a “no, I’m not really a Trump fan” would have changed the entire encounter.

Awful lot of pondering over how to handle comments by clerks. Mostly its barbers who want to talk when I don’t…I guess some people like it. I just do a few “hunh”, “no”, “yeah”, “I guess” and the rest is silence.

1 Like

What’s a barber? Is that the guy that used to cut my hair back in the seventies when my parents made me get haircuts?

I lead with my chin? It was an entirely friendly interaction. Transaction ended . He asked if I made it to the Trump rally. He made it awkward. I was ready to go.

I think what I said earlier still holds true. From his point of view it was just friendly conversation and he was a bit shocked at your reaction. Shortsighted on his part for sure, but innocent I think.

And you’re probably correct.

Let me repeat. You lead with your chin.

A smile and a “no, I’m not really a Trump fan” would have changed the entire encounter.

As is typical for those of your political bent you were looking to be offended, took offense over a friendly conversation, gave a snotty, condescending answer and then complained because things then went sour.

The clerk shouldn’t have assumed he was a Trump fan.

He didn’t assume, he asked.

Even if he did there was certainly no offense intended nor should there have been any perceived.

It’s a normal human interaction where a stranger being friendly looks for common ground with those he/she encounters.

He assumed, clearly. I already said it was innocent on his part, but an error nonetheless.

Just feel lucky you weren’t a Trump supporter

Vape shop employee looses it and refuses to let a guy purchase an item all because of his MAGA clothing.

By the way, the employee was fired – and he said he was glad he was fired afterwords.

Yeah. Remove the context that I explained in the OP.

But yes Wildrose:
“It’s a normal human interaction where a stranger being friendly looks for common ground with those he/she encounters.”

Except its a 2 minute transaction where they work for the state to finish a transaction and nothing more.

You are assuming and errantly.

Again even if he did it was nothing but a friendly conversation on his part and Adam was looking for a reason to be offended.

Adam was perfectly in control of the conversation at that point and decided to be snotty in reply which is when it went south.

No, an individual isn’t the state.

You continue showing that the whole reason the conversation ended badly was your own snotty attitude.