Politics In Retail Transaction Question

I think I’m actually being pretty open and level headed. The thread is intended to look at how we deal with random unexpected political interjections when we are just going about our normal lives. The clerk excitedly asked me if I made it to a Trump rally in my state. For no reason. And really as part of his job he shouldn’t be asking that. That’s the weird part. I’m just curious if my shooting that idea down real quick was maybe rude and if I should leave a non store specific comment to ABC.

1 Like

After a deep thought I cheated and looked it up. Knew I’d read it before.

The person reading your comment will probably be a Trump supporter. :slight_smile:

Me too.

I see what you did there………

Florida Yankee for all I know you are the author😀

It’s possible. :slight_smile:

Yeah…I’m biased. :sunglasses:

If I added the word “just” between he’s and a…maybe everything would be a tad more clear?

Yes, if you add words to a statement it can have a different meaning. I was more focused on the actual words I typed. “state run”.

Me too. I am still more objective than most folks when it comes to politics.

They probably start backing away slowly, or maybe not so slowly, once they see that.

Yes, considering you were there to buy rum and cokes I’d say the political talk was inappropriate.

https://www.abcfws.com/

Is this the “ABC Store”?

I thought they were a privately run chain of liquor stores, yet the OP indicates they are “state run”.

I’m confused. I hadn’t realized a liquor store was like a marijuana dispensary.

It’s always weird when a stranger brings up politics. It’s like they’re trying to assess from your looks and manner if you are one of them or if you are “the other”. Then they’ll say something political and see how you’ll react. It’s weird but we are all political creatures so it happens. I wouldn’t give it much thought…but probably would avoid the cashier if I ever went back.

I’d say, don’t worry about it. You do realize store clerks are human beings, right?

Would you want to leave a non store specific comment if you agreed with the clerk?

You are.

I see the confusion. No not that link. This one:

https://abc.nc.gov/Search/ABCStoreLocator

Me thinks this would have been totally different had the clerk agreed with him.

I can guarantee you if the clerk had said “Did you make it to the anti Trump rally?” I’d feel weird.

adonbilivit

I’m gonna be honest that if a stranger makes a political comment and it matches my beliefs I would be fine with it. But the opposite would make me grumpy. Why? Because I’m human and I’m political. It’s hypocritical but there ya go.