OxyContin creators being sued by state of Colorado

There are different levels of addiction. You don’t know this conclusive statement to be true.

Hilarious. No, it hasn’t.

Sorry. You have to balance the addictiveness with the pain relief.

Enough have and Purdue not only knew about but directly marketed towards that.

And here we are with a Opium problem in this country.

@zantax, I don’t know if you’re much of a reader, but there is a really good book, very readable, about the opioid crisis right there in Ohio. It’s called ‘Dreamland-The True Tale of America’s Opioid Epidemic’ by Sam Quinones. Very well researched, he documents how medically prescribed opiates and Mexican heroin fueled the epidemic there. He does a good job of documenting the tactics used by pharmaceutical companies to deceive doctors.

1 Like

I am going to go out on a limb and assume nowhere in the book does he claim, let alone prove, everyone who is prescribed an opiate pain killer becomes an addict.

Not everyone who smoked cigarettes got lung cancer… so Philip Morris should have gotten off the hook.

1 Like

Yes they should have, any competent adult knew full well cigarettes were harmful to their health and rolled the dice anyway.

Again, you’re having an argument that no one is having just to be disagreeable.

No, that’s not the point of the book. You would enjoy it.

I may not have been clear. Opiates are highly addictive. Most people become addicted if they use them for an extended time. Many people become addicted right away. But yes, some people can use for a short period and not become addicted.

I am?

Me

No, it isn’t a lie. The vast majority of people who have used opiate pain killers as prescribed for pain do not become addicts.

Nobody has said this. Why do you need to mischaracterize the argument?

I’ll tell you the same thing I told my doctor the last time my back went out and he didn’t want to prescribe an opiate for the pain. I didn’t ask you for an opiate, I asked you for pain relief, if you know of something else that is effective, great. He still didn’t prescribe it, thanks to this mindless panic about opioids, so everyone be on notice, you better hope you don’t end up with chronic debilitating pain, because societies do gooders have now decided that it’s better for you to suffer long term excruciating pain then to become dependent on effective pain relief medication.

I hope my mother dies before they cut her off her pain meds, better that then the suffering she will endure if they do.

Bottom line, people in pain shouldn’t be made to suffer because a small percentage of people use pain meds recreation-ally and end up addicts.

Hilarious.

Long term opiates don’t work.

You are speaking of something that no one is talking about.

It isn’t that prescribing opiates is a bad thing.

It is a company knowing that their product is being abused and not only not doing anything about that but pushing more product out where the abuse is running rampant.

This is corporate profits for an untold amount of human suffering.

I may be old fashioned but personal responsibility should play a roll. I’m not aware of the drug companies shoveling pills down anyone’s throat.

1 Like

So your doctor basically confirmed what I posted, but you still said I was wrong?

People don’t get addicted by using pain pills recreationally, they get addicted because a doctor originally prescribed for pain.

Your mom is already addicted, you already acknowledged that is probably true. No doctor will cut off someone already addicted to an opioid, any more than someone addicted to heroin cannot stop without major medical withdrawal. She would have to quit with medical assistance.

Apply that argument to any other narcotic that is abused by the public.

They flat out lied about how addictive OxyContin was. When it first came out, they marketed it as a less addictive replacement for Vicodin or Percocet.