OxyContin creators being sued by state of Colorado

Yeah, because doctors and patients didn’t know opioids were addictive right? How come I knew?

They have been doing very little. These pharmaceutical companies pay big ad $$$.

Why do people need to make excuses for companies who knew that they were profiting off of getting people hooked on opiates and did nothing about it?

Because we all can’t be as perfect as you.:roll_eyes:

There are some injuries…such as a back injury, where the pain can be excruciating and it’s 24 hours a day. The patients place themselves in a doctors’ care for “pain management”. If what happens after is not for the patients’ best interest but proven in court to be for the medical community’s best financial interest, heads need to roll.

Perfection is required to know opioids are addictive? I don’t believe that to be accurate.

Addiction isn’t necessarily a bad thing. My mother has severe intractable pain, I don’t doubt for a minute she is addicted to her pain medication. So what? The alternative is living with severe pain. It’s not like we have effective non-addictive pain medications as a viable alternative. It only becomes a problem if someone takes away her legal access to the medication she needs.

OxyContin was marketed as less likely to be abused and continued to be marketed as such years into knowing it was being abused.

Purdue made a lot of money knowing that their product was being abused and in some cases went so far as to further encourage its use.

I can’t argue that one either and if this is the best way to treat her pain, so be it. It’s when it isn’t the best way and for the medical community’s best financial interest that I’m addressing. As I said earlier, I don’t fully understand the issue but it needs to be addressed.

None of this would be an issue if Purdue had back in the early 2000’s done something about the addiction problem when it became apparent that OxyContin was being abused at a pretty high rate.

But that would have cut into profits… so they didn’t.

Less likely, doesn’t mean cannot be. Now if you want to talk about real criminal behavior. Let’s talk about how our government demands opioids be coupled with acetaminophen and why that is.

Although the inclusion of acetaminophen in the combination pain-killers is intended in part to deter abuse of mild opioids, ironically, for some pain patients it’s the ingredient that proves more dangerous.

In a statement, Sandra Kweder, MD, deputy director of the Office of New Drugs in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research said, “Overdose from prescription combination products containing acetaminophen account for nearly half of all cases of acetaminophen-related liver failure in the U.S., many of which result in liver transplant or death.”

Similar attempts to deter alcohol abuse during Prohibition by including poisonous chemicals in industrial alcohol that was being diverted for use by bootleggers resulted in the deaths of roughly 10,000 people; more recently, chemicals added to anti-anxiety and pain medications to prevent injection have instead resulted in limb amputations after the substances caused blood clots or other complications. ( More on Time.com: Suffer from Migraines? FDA Says Try Botox Injections)

How about that one? Our own governments plan to address abuse, was to make sure they had to add something that would kill you if you abused it. Now that’s criminal.

I don’t expect the makers of the drug to police the medical community, that isn’t their job.

Still not sure why anyone would want to run cover for a corporation that knowingly sold a highly addictive and abused drug… covered it up and doubled down to sell even more

Strange to deflect to what you feel is bad government policy in order to whatabout this nonsense.

Makes no sense to me.

Purdue agreed to identify “pill mills” and help stop them.

Not only did they not report where the abuse was happening, they worked to sell more pills there.

Opioids are addictive, we all know this, by your logic, that they are abused means they should not be sold. Ridiculous.

The sale of opioids is not the issue.

Marketing a drug that is highly addictive to treat moderate pain because the advertising claims that it is “less likely” to be abused while never doing the drug trials to back that claim up and then when the rampant abuse became apparent they not only did nothing to stop it but targeted those areas for further sales while covering up that they were doing it is the problem.

I still don’t know why some feel the need to run cover for this sort of corporate malfeasance.

Because it probably doesn’t work.

They trained an army of pharmaceutical salespeople to mislead and lie to doctors. Even I remember the sentiment for quite awhile there that opiate painkillers, used correctly, by people in pain, could be used without addiction. That was a lie perpetuated by the pharma company.

No, it isn’t a lie. The vast majority of people who have used opiate pain killers as prescribed for pain do not become addicts.

That’s been shown not to be true.