Opening schools does not spread Covid. That's Science

The vast majority of those infected with COVID 19 have survived.

Here are death rates by age:

https://www.heritage.org/data-visualizations/public-health/covid-19-deaths-by-age/

■■■■ lockdowns that have crippled, and, in some cases, destroyed, small businesses. Whatever assistance they got did NOT mean they didn’t have expenses to pay like rent, or, in Massachusetts, the cost of the state’s Paid Family Medical Leave Act, which, unlike FMLA signed by Bill Clinton, does NOT have a length of service requirement to take up to six months for family or medical condition.

■■■■ classification of workers as “inessential”.

■■■■ the forced isolation that has contributed immensely to domestic violence & suicide.

■■■■ retarded expressions like “flattening the curve”.

Obviously if some poor soul has symptoms or tests positive they should stay home. But, especially with vaccines an option, it’s time to fully reopen the schools.

Someone wants to stay in their basement & peak out the blinds full time, it’s their life. But they need to be prohibited from destroying others’ lives along with theirs.

1 Like

What age group do you fall in?

With the exception of a hand full of states…The majority of the states in the US never had any close orders from July 2020 going forward. The Majority of states had guidance in place that each school district was to follow the guidance set forth by local County Health Commissioners. So when you are talking about schools need to be open…just how many do you think were actually closed.

Vaccinated health care worker

So let me get this straight…like me you are 50+ vaccinated Healthcare worker and your attitude is ■■■■ this and that when those things are in place to protect those who are yet to be vaccinated? That’s something.

If you looked at the charts, children are in the least likely to contract and have complications from COVID 19. And teachers are being offered the vaccinations just like healthcare workers.

Deaths don’t spike until around 54, and many elderly patients are recovering. A 99 year old patient at the hospital near me recovered—this lady had also survived the Spanish flu in her youth.

I had pneumonia during H1 flu & wouldn’t even have thought to ask Obama to tank what was left of the economy for little old me, so yeah. I think the divisions of workers into “essential” and “inessential” were wrong as was sending an entire class of workers home to wait around for an Unemployment and face such issues as depression, more conflicts at home—a couple furloughed from transportation jobs about drove each other crazy with a number of places they might have gone for enjoyment shut down, & the wife’s nephew just committed suicide, so yeah, that’s my attitude.

An entire economy should not have been ground to a halt for a virus most are surviving. Who was going to force anyone who was scared for their health to take a vacation, get a haircut or do a gym workout? Government controls on much of anything cause more problems than they solve.

2 Likes

In my state of Indiana…10% of teachers have had Covid. That is the same proportion as the general population

Indeed. We have quite a few teachers over the age of 60. They had (have) every right to be concerned, particularly when the thing first hit. To ask them to “retire” is BS, they are some of the best and brightest. Yet, our school protected those who were older or had underlying medical conditions. I was provided with an n95 mask. We have been teaching in-person the entire school year. Yes, we are a privileged school. We could afford better ventilation and air-scrubbers, enforce distancing, and have smaller classes. Us older folks are now fully vaccinated, and every other teacher will receive their second dose in two weeks.

In a public school setting, with crowded classrooms, poor ventilation, poor PPE, no vaccinations, and so on, I would be singing a different tune.

In Indiana our Governor told teachers that they could not take potentially wasted vaccines when they had them left over at the end of the day. This is exactly how I got my teacher wife and teacher son their vaccines. There was no one to get three doses and they were going to waste them. I got my wife son and a colleague of my wife those shots.

It took the federal government to step in and release supply to Walmart, Meijer and Kroger stores to get teachers vaccinated.

No it didn’t.

Apparently sun and sand kills the virus.

Well it wasn’t coming from holcomb.

Who stopped it from going to those places in the first place?

They were never scheduled to have them. Our Governor refused to vaccinate teachers. These three stores were place out there with federally supplied vaccines specifically so teachers could start getting vaccines like Ohio, Michigan, Illinois and Kentucky.

Scheduled by who?

What don’t you understand Sneaky. Do you get how vaccine rollouts work?

Figure it out. I’m not mansplaning it.

I do know, do you? The central government getting out of the way and stopping micromanagement is not “stepping in”.

This entire post reminds me of the Stanford Marshmellow Experiment, where 5 year olds are given the choice if they can wait 10 minutes they get 2 cookies, or they can get 1 cookie immediately.

A cuttlefish can pass the test and wait 10 minutes for increased gratification. The American electorate, not so much.

Not true.

They pass the test. I welcome our new invertebrate overlords.