One thing that fortunately did not pass the House, Rubio's permanent Daylight Saving Time bill

Nah, get back to me when you know about its origins and achievements that still stand to this day. You and your cheerleaders wouldn’t have argued points I never made in the first place had you already known. :wink:

I’d prefer us to be on the metric system.

That said, my main side gig involves cars. And unless they roll up with something positively ancient, the auto world is all metric now.

By the way, worst cars are American cars from the 80s and early 90s. As much as I love them, they had this insane idea to use both metric and SAE bolts and studs on the same car. Absolutely stupid idea. Have to use a 10mm for a few bolts and then there is a stupid 1/2 inch in the middle of it.

Either one or the other please.

1 Like

Haven’t used them personally but universal socket wrenches seem to be well reviewed on amazon.

ok boomer

1 Like

That doesn’t make it terrible just makes it something you don’t like. Your circadian rythem would change.

1 Like

The thing to realize is that imperial units themselves don’t stand. They’ve been redefined in terms of metric units.

You may still be using the imperial quantities, but it is metric doing the heavy lifting for you.

You would be hard pressed to even utilize the original imperial units.

1 Like

Thats ■■■■■■ up. Why should we flip flop clock time? Arizona has the right idea

Au conttraire … that may have been one of the best ideas ever to be considered by Congress … at least over the last ten sessions.

That would be okay, but permanent “daylight savings” would be better. And double double DST would be even better. The closer solar noon is to the middle of the predominate work day (8 am to 5 pm) the better. Most people rise about 6 am and turn out the lights at 10 pm, putting the middle of their day at 2 pm. Virtually no one uses much daylight before 8 am even when it’s available, but everyone uses daylight after they get off work at 5. Permanent double DST would give the vast majority of people two more hours of daylight after they get off work.

1 Like

True, but everyone in this country would be expert at using it within a year of converting.

1 Like

Far quicker than that. We have several examples of “late to convert” countries such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand that proves even stubborn old timers (like me :wink: ) get over it in a few years at most.

That simply is not true. As I pointed out, the middle of the day for the vast majority of people is about 2 pm. When solar noon was established as the middle of the day, neither clocks nor artificial lighting was common. People got up just before sunrise and ended their day when it got too dark to work. That worked fine when most people worked all day long with little to no recreation. But now with the vast majority on a standard 8 hour work day, time to recreate in the evenings is much dependent on available daylight.

Setting the clock (when they came along) to solar noon was a convenience, but it is NOT sacred. It’s nothing more than a human construct just like the 24-hr day itself is.

Will rent controls be next to go as various governments stop efforts to fight WW2?

1 Like

maybe not yours but mine is.

Allan

The problem is Allan, you won’t fit in the desk drawer when we’re not using you to measure things. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s unAmerican

.45 caliber

As long as you keep the empirical pint, I’m fine with it.

Serves ya right letting all the foreigners invade the country.

:rofl:

1 Like