One thing that fortunately did not pass the House, Rubio's permanent Daylight Saving Time bill

Metric is not artificial. It is based on fundamental attributes of the physical world.

If the system was used solely to measure human biological activities, imperial might claim better harmony. But the system is widely used to characterize non-human objects. Therefore metric (SI) units are more natural.

2 Likes

Not really, there is nothing natural about base ten aside from us having ten fingers and ten toes.

There is much more to the system than base 10.

Also base 10 is entirely natural… since we have chosen it as our main numbering system. With the helpful side effect that our fingers provide a natural counting instrument.

1 Like

I remember this fiasco.

Lockheed-Martin built the spacecraft and programmed it using Imperial Units, while NASA sent commands using Metric Units. $327.6 Million down the toilet.

Since then, EVERYTHING space related is required to be solely in Metric.

2 Likes

Math and nature doesn’t care what base the calculations are done in is my point.

1 Like

Well, sure, using two different systems at the same time is a bad idea, doesn’t make one better then another.

giphy1

Surely true.

But the system is oh so much more than base 10.

The system is intertwined with the SI definitions for fundamental physical units which are superior to the truly arbitrary choices made in imperial. So much so that imperial units have been redefined in terms of the corresponding metric units.

It matches the monay.

Metrification failed in the United States because it was made voluntary.

Combined with the natural impulse of people to resist change.

Ensured that nothing changed.

In most of the world, metrification has been made mandatory, with customary units banned in commerce and products required to be sized in metric units. (Although the UK has backslidden in that regard.)

The adults will bitch about it, of course. The kids who grow up with the system won’t care, because that is the only system they would encounter in school, imperial units would not be taught or referenced.

1 Like

Exactly. Do it!

These sentiments hold the answer.

Two systems is a bad idea. Imperial can not stand on its own (the standard reference objects having failed and been replaced by the metric naturally-defined units)

Therefore metric is the only available choice for a single system— barring defining a third system.

Standard is more in line with Circadian Rhythms and maintains solar noon closer to clock noon.

It is more beneficial for me to have the sun well up very early. I know some people are “afraid of the dark” in the evening, but here, without DST, the sun would not set until 7:45 in midsummer and it would remain light until 8:00.

Lots of people that start their days very early and are harmed by DST.

No one with an opinion appears to even understand the point of the Imperial system in the first place. That one lib was on to something though, being that metric makes the math a little easier for the layman. Lord knows math is too hard already. lol

By focusing on the numeric base you don’t appear to understand the point of the metric system. Imperial failed to define its units in a natural fundamental way. It was non-reproducible and destined for failure as precision requirements increased.

Imperial unites are now subjugated to metric… because they have superior definitions and support finer precision.

Oh great, here comes a rando out of left field again. :rofl:

They aren’t done for nature.

He’s right! @Snowfinch is on my team against you Luddites.

Yeah you’ll definitely need a cheerleader or three to help you out with this one. :wink:

I won already. Fingers and toes vs forearms.