Old Timers Stuff

The Carol Burnett Show with Tim Conway et al. When funny was really funny.

I miss those days!

My dad was born in '53. He’s introduced me to oldies music, and a few TV shows he used to watch as a kid, like Tom and Jerry, Mr. Ed (I think that was the name- it had a talking horse named Ed), Captain Kangaroo and Rocky and Bullwinkle. Rocky sounds like one of the voice actors from School House Rock, coincidentally.

Wow…I was born in '53. Geez. that makes me feel old! :hugs:

1 Like

I love how they did it “live:” and could barely keep a straight face! Funnier than anything you see these days!!

Anybody else have a “Winky Dink” screen that you would put over the television screen and each show you would trace over the screen to get a message?
which reminds me, at one time they have a celephane or plastic screen you would put over the black and white tv. It was greenish at the bottom and bluish at the top and you would pretend you were watching in color.

I remember both of those.
With Winky Dink you would draw on the plastic screen covering to help him out. He might come up to a place where he needed a bridge and you would draw it for him.
How about Captain Midnight and his secret decoder ring- brought to you by Ovaltine :slight_smile:

Had One. 789

I don’t remember the Winky Dink, but I know my parents fell for that piece of colored plastic!!

Here’s an old Winky Dink show on YouTube. This was big stuff to a kid back then.

Slide rule.
I used one in High School.

1 Like

Saturday morning TV westerns in the late 50’s/early 60’s with classics like the Roy Rogers Show, Cisco Kid, Zorro, My Friend Flicka, The Lone Ranger, Rin Tin Tin, and Sky King.

1 Like

reruns of some such show are still on.

The Rifleman is one one of my SO’s favorite Sat/Sun morning shows because they all have some good moral. She does not like many westerns. Pay no attention that Chuck Conners kills an average of 2 and a half people per show.

oh how I remember when this first came out! It cost us a nickle to get in to the picture show. Little did we realize that our parents would face the great stock market crash in another year. Heck… at the time, we thought the stock market was the livestock auction over in Chambersburg.

It was up to 35 cents when I was young (and you watched 2 movies many times). But I remember the ‘cartoons’ teaching me more about classical music than anyone is getting today!!!

I was making that story up anyhow. I’d have to be about a hundred years old to have watched Steamboat Willie when it first came out. My grandfather however would have first seen it in his early 30s after he came from the old country. It must have made a big impression 'cause anytime he wanted to make us kids laugh, he would just say
MickaMouse .

Btw… yes… classical music in old cartoons…Or jazz.

I thought there was something ‘off’ about you remembering that cartoon when it came out…but I was trying to be respectful :blush:

They have a theater at Disneyland that runs this continually. We were there last week, but we didn’t go in this time.