Oil and gas exports are harming Americans

Can’t that be made into a policy? They should. They didn’t put it into the earth or sea. Their ownership begins somewhere. Make policy that takes effect before that transaction happens.

WASHINGTON, Aug 27 (Reuters) - The U.S. Energy Secretary urged domestic oil refiners this month to not further increase exports of fuels like gasoline and diesel, adding that the Biden administration may need to consider taking action if the plants do not build inventories.

The administration hopes that companies will “proactively address this need” of building inventories, she said. If that does not happen, the administration “will need to consider additional federal requirements or other emergency measures,” Granholm added, without providing details.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-energy-secretary-urges-refiners-not-increase-fuel-exports-2022-08-27/

Let’s see what happens.

The suits have a chance to get on the phone with each other and figure out how to party in moderation.

Hurricane season coming up. Winter coming up. It’s a bit too patient, in my opinion. But maybe they’ll surprise me.

Looks like the left are showing their authoritarian side more and more.

1 Like

Since we are a net importer of energy, we can’t decouple from the world energy markets. And natural gas isn’t the only shoe waiting to drop come winter. Europe is bringing oil fired generation on line. The Northeast uses a lot of fuel oil for heat in the winter. Expect heating oil prices to skyrocket this winter as Europe increases its demand on the world market. I also think the constitution has something to say about takings.

2 Likes

Trump says America first, then has his products made in China. The American businesses he did engage in, he short paid them, and dared them to sue him.

Neo-liberal economics is what caused the outsourcing of jobs. Which is a conservative economic philosophy. Look at the votes on NAFTA. You will see the neoliberals…almost all of the R’s, and a lot of D’s

Nice!

The EPA under the Trump administration decided that Bluewater’s terminal was exempt from rules that require pollution controls on marine tank vessel loading operations.

The permit would have allowed Bluewater’s terminal to emit up to 66 tons per year of benzene — a carcinogenic pollutant.

Why was this even considered? What good did exempting Bluewater do for Americans anyway? Between this and Cheniere howling for exemptions on their gas exports, I have to ask what motivates a willingness to cut corners here just to send stuff elsewhere?

Stolen elections matter.

2 Likes

What motivates manufacturing obstruction to commerce.

1 Like

Protecting the environment is sufficiently motivating, in my opinion. The environment in China is an example of what happens when there isn’t sufficient care for protecting the commons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-36022538.amp

Most of the people who will live in that squalor benefited relatively little from the industry that caused it. Some people got rich and everyone else stays poor with dirty water.

I oppose situations where burdens are similarly unequally yoked here in America. Industry should endeavor to keep its surroundings clean from the contaminants it produces.

Actually I think the objective is to impede industry at any cost. And a lot of virtue signaling.

1 Like

Is the snow still green in Rochester, NY where Kodak was?

1 Like

Trump then improved the deal during his first term.

A campaign promise kept.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/exxon-ceo-warns-biden-administration-against-limiting-fuel-exports-11664508549?mod=latest_headlines

Exxon said that “the oil industry should not slow fuel shipments in favor of putting more in storage tanks”, the Journal report says.

The concerns were laid out in a letter this week signed by Exxon Chief Executive Darren Woods. Woods wrote: “Continuing current Gulf Coast exports is essential to efficiently rebalance markets—particularly with diverted Russian supplies. Reducing global supply by limiting U.S. exports to build region-specific inventory will only aggravate the global supply shortfall.”

Biden’s Energy Department responded by pointing out parts of the country that have oil and gas levels near five year lows heading into hurricane season. A spokesperson said: “The administration has impressed upon the oil and gas industry that it must do more to ensure fair prices and adequate supply for all Americans, while meeting the needs of our allies.”

“Free market incentives remain the most efficient way for the industry to address these problems,” Woods said.

Should efficiency be a priority, even if it leaves Americans lean? I don’t think so. Security is often inefficient.

Man I hate that term.

1 Like
3 Likes

Security? Leaving Europe frozen and at the mercy of Russia while we feed billions to Ukraine is not security, it is crazy.

And where did Biden get the idea that Massachusetts has the right to Texas oil on the cheap?

2 Likes

We are not a net importer of energy.

1 Like

EIA expects US petroleum trade to shift toward net imports during 2022.

EIA expects U.S. petroleum trade to shift toward net imports during 2022 - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).

1 Like

“Shift toward” does not mean “is.”