Oil and gas exports are harming Americans

From the way this thread has gone, wouldn’t northeastern blue states and California be justified in subsidizing or outright running an oil or gas company just to ensure they will have a stable supply in the future?

Following that line of thought to the end, this hypothetical company gets bigger until it is a heavily subsidized nation-sized corporation that controls exports too.

If energy security of Americans is the only consideration, then oil, gas, and coal should be publicly owned before they come out of the ground.

Sho’ nuff! lol

It’s an interesting thought. I’ve been to a few countries with nationalized oil.

1 Like

But there’s that “we” again. Are you an energy company? The problem isn’t the northeast region of the US or the state of Texas: neither ultimately determines where gas goes. And why would gas companies want to do anything to make the price of their commodity to go down?

I was replaying to a post that indicated we were sending “our” oil and gas to the wrong place…namely Europe. So you can decide who “we” and “our” are according to your prejudices.
The person to whom I was replying obviousy wanted cheap oil for the NE or some other such area included in the we and Europe excluded.
I was indicating that from Texas, I could just say Texas was the “we”.
You could do that all the way down to the farmer under who’s property the oil lays. He might think why should I get less for my property because someone in NY wants cheap energy at the expense of my income or the heating of people in Europe.
Has nothing to do with oil companies. They aren’t setting energy prices worldwide.

1 Like

That is exactly what I’m looking for. Insulating energy prices from foreign influence and securing a supply for customers in the United States.

With the Chinese doing something similar, I wonder if there are policies worth exploring for Americans.

Shipments are expected to level off over the rest of the year, however, as Beijing prioritises the local market to curb domestic fuel inflation. Diesel, gasoline and jet fuel exports for the year are expected to be as much as 40% lower from 2021.

Actually, sounds a lot like the position of the north before the civil war. A big tariff to be placed on shipping cotton to Europe so New England could have cheaper cotton for their mills and make the profit. Of course, the South took the loss
Block selling oil from Texas, North Dakota etc to Europe so the North East can get energy on the cheap from the producing states.
And then complain about using fossil fuels.

2 Likes

Ah, okay.

Does it shake out the same way as cotton tarriffs if energy prices go down in the South too? Could that policy be a winner today?

I don’t think its going to happen. Europe would yell. Trade agreements would be tossed out.
If it costs users here too much, make Europe pay a higher portion of bailing out Ukraine and subsidize energy users.
More important than paying people for their past debts.

1 Like

Sure, go ahead.

So have I.

1 Like

So that is when national is a good term.

1 Like

Weird how the globalists suddenly change their tune when it hits them in the pocketbook.

2 Likes

Globalist for things coming in, nationalist going out.

We shouldn’t export energy, raw materials, or commodities at all. Only refined products should leave the country, making skilled jobs on their way out.

I don’t know how the current situation is palatable to anyone. Americans will sell the blessings of this continent to foreigners for a buck, and watch other Americans run short. It’s gross.

So, as long as it’s going into your pocket by lowering your costs it isn’t gross?

1 Like

It’s easy to say, “I want that!” when one doesn’t understand the actual costs. Some pets just want free toys for their loyalty. :wink:

1 Like

giphy3

1 Like

I don’t know how to explain that Americans should be indignant at the costly outflow of resources to foreigners.

You’re looking at my pocket and I’m looking over your shoulder at the Chinese. They’re saving their fuel for domestic use.

I’m just surprised you’ve taken a nationalistic turn.

The America First mindset is why a lot of us supported Trump.

1 Like

It’s international trade. And when other countries feel the same way?
Really, this is just saying that the people who own and extract these products need to sell it to me on the cheap.