Obstruction of justice? I don't think so

Bingo! Right on the money! :+1:

For one to obstruct, they need not cause an investigation to cease. Read the statute before sounding foolish.

The FBI director does NOT serve at the pleasure of the president. If a president commits crimes, does the DOJ, FBI, and CIA look the other way because they serve at “the pleasure of the president?”

hog snot

We entrust the president with a lot of power.

Impeachment was designed as a check on the president should they betray that trust.

Trump’s mistake was not cleaning house in the FBI and intelligence community immediately and putting his own people in as soon as he took office
That would have ended the investigation.
Thus his dissatisfaction with Sessions. He thought he had his own Lynch in there, but not a bit of it.

So what if instead of firing Comey he had directly ordered the investigation ended? Still within his authority just as it was in Comey’s authority to end the investigation of Hillary. Neither one “obstructed justice”, they just exercised their legitimate authority to put an end to investigations for which they saw no purpose, or would have if Trump had ordered that investigation ended.

The reason there has been no outcome of finding campaign/Russia collusion is that there was never a legitimate reason for the investigation,other than political intrigue.

Yes, surely nothing could have gone wrong if Donald just swept in and put “his people” in the FBI and the intelligence community. I’m sure that would have gone swimingly for the country and our National Security. Just look how well all his “Best People” have done so far in other areas.

1 Like

If Trump ordered an end of an investigation into himself (hypothetically) because he knew that it was started politically and he had done nothing, then that would be a legitimate use of his authority.
If Trump ordered an end of an investigation into himself because he knew he was guilty and didn’t want the truth to be found out, then that would be obstruction and not a legitimate use of his authority.
There can be no obstruction to a bogus investigatoin of collusion (conspiracy)

I do not see, regardless of how Comey’s firing is viewed, an obstruction if no Campaign collusion is found involving Trump.

It’s L’Affaire Russe, and if that’s the what you trumpsters think the lesson is I’m fine with that. You’ll be treated accordingly.

I’d be entertained by you explaining how you believe that is actually supposed to go down. Give us all the nitty gritty details of your imagination on that, please please please.

NOt complicated. If Trump had appointed a Lynch as Atty Gnl, then Comey would have been replaced on day one as a simple part of the new administration. No one would have questioned that.

So we’d have to take his word on it that he’s done nothing? That’s one of your requirements for this hypothetical scenario in which he ends all investigation into his campaign and beyond?

Pardon me for asking, but isn’t the number of people he hired being convicted of multiple felonies a “clue” that Trump might have more to hide? Don’t you want to know if your president is a criminal? I kinda do.

Hardcore Trumpers actually want a Warhawk dictator Republican-Lite. Deep down that’s what thy need. It’s like a weird daddy complex.

Ha.

Oh doug. First, if it’s not complicated, why didn’t he do it? He appointed “a” SESSIONS! His literal first office holding supporter. HIs main man, his sherpa. Jeff Friggin Sessions. You can’t find a bigger partisan twit.

Second, you said:

Trump’s mistake was not cleaning house in the FBI and intelligence community immediately and putting his own people in as soon as he took office

Cleaning house is picking a new AG? He did that. You probably loved it at the time.

And that’s it?

At best that’s cleaning a storage closet that was scheduled to be cleaned, not cleaning house. I was hoping for some sweet political purging of FBI and intelligence community fantasies.

Whataboutism! Whataboutism!

…and the reality is Trump has already done an intelligence community purge.

He fired Mike Flynn, KT McFarland, Rich Higgins, General McMaster, and many more.

And if you can’t remember who Rich Higgins was, he was the one fired for writing pants-on-fire crazy memo’s and helped coordinate the White House program of using Israeli Spy firm Black Cube to create their enemies list and attack them.

Same Black Cube Weinstein used
Same Black Cube in the news again yesterday.

You threw out your own whackos, and replaced them with even whackier whackos all while continuing to pay the Israeli whackos. Good stuff.

Ifyouweren’tmadaboutthatwhyareyoumadaboutthis-ism would be more accurate.

If it turns out he was guilty of a crime, then he would likely be guilty of obstruction of justice, too. If there was no crime, he would have known that too so there would be no obstruction of justice.
All that is hypothetical since he did not stop an investigation in the first place.

Check out @SachaBaronCohen’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/SachaBaronCohen/status/1032672177823395842?s=09

Well, since he’s got all the motivation in the world to lie about virtually everything he’s ever done, I’ll wait for the evidence. That’s why the investigation is ongoing.

Yes, install the people that will cover up your misdeeds, thats the ticket. Hmmm where have I seen that before?

hmmm…Obuma? :roll_eyes: