Now we have election police

DeSantis signed a bill today creating election police in Florida, even though they have never found significant fraud in ANY STATE, including Florida.

He’s losing his mind.

1 Like

Playing to the base.

1 Like

Such a waste of time and resources. He could be making Florida a better place, but just panders to the base.

The state is becoming more and more expensive by the day, squeezing longtime residents, and he does nothing.

1 Like

He is gunning for President. He doesn’t have to work for Florida.

3 Likes

What is he supposed to do bar people from up North buying here and driving up prices? Or make it a ■■■■ hole so people don’t want to come?

7 Likes

:thinking:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/cost-of-living-index-by-state

3 Likes

Our rents and housing prices have absolutely skyrocketed within the last six months. I know it’s bad everywhere, but we have tooany people moving in, and there is no housing available for them.

I don’t blame DeSantis for the rising rent.

I blame, as I have consistently blamed, restrictive zoning and other factors that artificially restrict the housing supply.

I am not saying that it hasn’t gotten more expensive but the article makes the assertion that it’s the “least affordable place to live” - I skimmed through it and perhaps I just missed it, but are there any numbers that back that up ?

1 Like

Rework zoning laws, limit foreign investment are two things that can be done off the top of my head.

We are heavily reliant on tourism. It’s going to be real bad when those workers can no longer afford a place to live.

1 Like

They used this for their data:

The article focused solely on rent and mortgage/home prices. While your cost of living index includes groceries, utilities etc.

Florida Metros are outpacing the national average when it comes to rents.

Besides wasting the money on creating a voting fraud force. The bill also banned ranked choice voting in the state, which I think is ridiculous.

Ok yeah , that definitely doesn’t jive with the headline they offer.

1 Like

Yankee infestation?

2 Likes

Californian here…I would probably dispute Florida being most expensive place to live…unless they are factoring in the cost of air conditioning and screened patio enclosures :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll admit, the headline is 100 percent hyperbolic. Even with rent increasing to near California levels, putting everything else together cost of living is still lower.

The thing is, we don’t have California wages. So housing increases so high, so fast, locals are having a hard time affording living here.

1 Like

A major part of the problem.

1 Like

It’s already bad. We moved to Palm Beach from MD. We bought a home in ‘08 when the market bottomed out. Nice, gated, in ground pool, club house, active community, pool side faces west, lake, sunsets are awesome. It’s our retirement house. I took a “retirement job” driving a school bus. The wife owned a hair salon up north sold it. She does the oldest daughter and daughters in law hair and a few friends that live here. Down at the bus lot they’re screaming at the union rep for an hourly increase because they can’t afford to drive to work! I see why, driving a school bus isn’t a money maker. I get an investment income check and we both get SS. We’ve had to look at cutting some costs. Gasoline is brutal and FPL raised their rates. Oldest son flips houses, he can’t even buy a shack to remodel, no inventory. He sold a house last month for $1.5 million that didn’t look like much to me. He said the buyers were from NJ and didn’t even do a walk through?? He said we could get $5-600k for our house but there’s no where to go. We like this place just fine except there’s a lot of traffic all of a sudden.

Just did some math, could be wrong. But they are creating a force to combat .0007 percent of fraud that occurred. Why could the enforcement that already exist handle that?

Such a waste of funds.

1 Like

That’s about the same percent of actual CRT and “grooming” that takes place in classrooms, as well.

2 Likes