Nothing to see here folks. I am sure they are bluffing (Taiwan)

and they would fail miserably

I know.

It takes a special kind of leadership to know when to transition.

Which is why empires usually fall instead of soft land.

If it dies, it dies. You don’t murder it.

It is the economic hegemony that fueled the out sized (compared to the majority of the rest of the world) standard of living.

But forward military installations in the Solomon Islands could force commercial traffic to have to go around the South Side of Australia.

I m so glad our Congress is focusing on a protest that got out of hand a year a d a half ago. Now that’s the stuff that really matters…

The damn morons in Dc should all be fired.

The mismanagement of our affairs coming from the dimwits of both parties is damn near criminal.

I m at the point where the entire political class needs to be replaced with common sense normal citizens interested in serving their country and then going back home. No more if this “the great senator with 50 years of distinguished service” ■■■■■

During a war perhaps, but not otherwise. During a war (with China) shipping around the entire world would be threatened.

1 Like

It did, but what about now? A stance that puts us in a position to jump between China and Taiwan will likely lower our standard of living.

If it happens tomorrow, ten years from now, or ten years ago, Americans undoubtedly become poorer as a result.

Taiwan is China’s short game, not their long game. National leaders like Xi don’t engage in massive arms build ups for defensive reasons.

The Biden policy is to speak loudly and carry a small stick.

Biden needlessly provoked the war in Ukraine. He has sent large portion of NATO’s weapon stocks to Ukraine, and they were supposed to destroy the Russian army. Instead the Russian military is winning on the ground and is destroying or capturing the weapons.

What is left to send to Taiwan at this point?

China is now becoming even more aggressive about foreign warships transiting the Taiwan straits. The US will ignore China’s claim that the straight is PRC territorial water. At some point the CCP is going to feel the need to force the issue, or continue to lose face.

The easiest defense for Taiwan would be to adopt a scorched-earth policy for its semiconductor plants.

Taiwan’s semiconductor contract manufacturers accounted for 63% of total global foundry market share in 2020.
Taiwan’s bargaining chips? | TechCrunch

The economy of world, including China, is highly dependent on computer chips from Taiwan.

And China already recognizes this and is working diligently to increase their capacity to manufacture semi conductors. They believe in government sponsored critical industry. Their goal will be to be able to meet their own need for semi conductors without Taiwan’s capacity.Then if Taiwan’s capacity is significantly damaged in a conflict it is the rest of the world’s industry that suffers, not theirs.

You have seen what the Chinese are doing because of COVID.
The Chinese government cares little about its economy.

It is a price they are willing to pay.