Non-competes banned and overtime eligibility thresholds increased

Effective July 1, 2024, the salary threshold will increase to the equivalent of an annual salary of $43,888 and increase to $58,656 on Jan. 1, 2025. The July 1 increase updates the present annual salary threshold of $35,568 based on the methodology used by the prior administration in the 2019 overtime rule update. On Jan. 1, 2025, the rule’s new methodology takes effect, resulting in the additional increase. In addition, the rule will adjust the threshold for highly compensated employees. Starting July 1, 2027, salary thresholds will update every three years, by applying up-to-date wage data to determine new salary levels.

The Federal Trade Commission narrowly voted Tuesday to ban nearly all noncompetes, employment agreements that typically prevent workers from joining competing businesses or launching ones of their own.

Two big wins for American workers.

2 Likes

Somehow this is bad for the American worker.

2 Likes

When I was very young, my family visited my great uncle who had a farm. He took my brother and I out into the pasture and showed us one of his cows that had a small calf. She had utters hanging and he reached under and squirted milk at us. We laughed and he then took us to his barn, showed us his tractor and the stacked hay bales that we climbed up high into the rafters. It was all cool but after a while, my great uncle went back into his house. My brother and I went back to that cow and had an hour long squirt fight. My uncle came back out…and a man I never even saw mad…spanked both my brother and I. What he said, I’ll never forget. “You always have to save enough milk for the calf. She is the future.” IMO…that mindset applies here. This pay raise may be fun for a tad for the workers but if these companies can’t survive it, there is no future. Just as the minimum wage got raised in California and many businesses are now closing as a result, this appears to be more of the same. IOW…I don’t believe enough milk is being left for the calf.

4 Likes

This is more like pruning, rather than starving a calf. Businesses that cannot afford the overtime they use deserve regulatory scissors. They’re just wasting resources.

2 Likes

Now we can both watch how our projected reality actually rolls out in the rearview mirror.

Thing is that they agreed to pay workers for overtime for anytime over 40 hours per week. They have an obligation.

If they can’t pay that then they need to take the money from somewhere else to give to the workers.

1 Like

Or they can just not do overtime.

1 Like

That’s a possibility to but I understand that sometimes it’s unavoidable.

If it has to happen they need to compensate them for it.

It’s why I hated being salary. I worked 70 hours per week and only got really paid for 45 of it plus my bonuses. Granted I miss that money now but I really hated working and not being directly paid for it.

1 Like

As I have told several producers…. I don’t make these decisions about the the schedule…. They do.

1 Like

In many cases it’s cheaper for them to run stupidly overly lean and just pay overtime to the existing workers.

It’s screwed up but if the worker doesn’t have a life outside of work and is paid extra for it, they generally like it.

1 Like

That’s. Me in a nutshell.

It used to be me. But now I’ve got a son and I enjoy spending time with him. So I like 40 hours.

But at my current job I’m underpaid. So I’ve got to find something else.

It’s the nature of my industry. I have made my peace with it.

I am going to try to work less and less over the next few years. Do what I can to keep health insurance and pension credits… but doing 11 months of 60+ hour weeks a year is becoming something that I don’t want to do anymore.

1 Like

I found out I have kidney issues so I thought I was gonna have to go down for a long time. So I was gonna become a stay at home dad for a while and go back to school for a history degree and become a high school teacher.

But I’m seeing positive progress now. I’m not at risk of renal failure and needing dialysis anymore. Functions have improved dramatically in the last four months. So that may have changed my plans. Now I’m back to looking for more physical work that pays more.

1 Like

I hope that you continue to improve. That is a tough thing to have.

Eh no need for sympathy. It’s my fault. I went years without paying attention to out of control blood pressure despite being extremely high risk for it. I was too busy getting ■■■■■■ up in my 20s to worry about blood pressure problems lol. Despite being the child of two people with high blood pressure and being half black. Which is damn near a guarantee for it.

I kind of ignored my health… even though I had health insurance until I fell off a ladder at work and actually started to try to take care of myself. My blood pressure never got to the point of nearly killing me… but it is now under control.

1 Like

When I went to the ER earlier after passing out at work this year and they took my blood pressure they were like “my God man you’re at stroke numbers.”

So now I take three pills per day for that and for the first time in my adult life I don’t get head splitting migraines at random times of the day. I’ve finally been able to retire the Ibuprofin (which also wasn’t doing my kidneys any favors and I used to take a lot of it.

Nurse kept asking me “you don’t feel like you’re dying every day.” And I was like no, I’m used to it. But thank God I did. I found I had kidney functions worse than my 82 year old granddad.

1 Like

Mate sorry to hear that. History teacher sounds right up your alley (from reading your posts).

1 Like

Honestly it’s what I feel like I’d be good at enjoy the most. But at the same time Mississippi isn’t exactly the best place to have a teaching career. My fiance is going to be teaching special education so she’s got nothing to worry about job or compensation wise because that’s in stupidly high demand. But a run of the mill history teacher? Most of them here are football coaches. Because it guarantees job security. Which I could coach soccer too now that I think about it.

1 Like