No-fly lists based on vaccination status?

The observed risks from catching COVID during a flight have been extremely low even when no one was vaccinated:

Planes require that people appear to be healthy and wear a face mask in order to board a plane. We are told that vaccinated persons should wear face masks since they can still catch and transmit the virus, and new strains getting even better at bypassing the vaccination.

If the main benefit of the vaccination is to prevent people from getting severe symptoms, the vaccinated arguably represent a greater risk of an infectious person getting on a flight without obvious symptoms. Should there be no-fly list for the vaccinated?

Or is the whole idea of no-fly lists just new ways for the government to end civil liberties?

No fly list sounds like an apt punishment to me.

No more masks needed once that takes hold.

Allan

2 Likes

Nothing more than a stick to beat the unvaccinated with.

2 Likes

There is no right to fly on an airplane.

5 Likes

It’s called an incentive.

Wanna fly?

Get the vaccine. It’s a pretty simple concept.

Allan

3 Likes
1 Like

How is this different from requiring vaccinations to enroll in schools?

4 Likes

Want to do things? Get vaccinated.

2 Likes

Want me to spend money in this economy, get off my jockstrap. Until then, I have zero problem not flying or not entering a city and spending money. I am vaccinated by the way, just not fond of authoritarians.

3 Likes

That article is from last September… Delta is much more contagious.

No pun intended.

Then don’t do stuff. That’s your choice. These authoritarians don’t want their customer’s health compromised by the unvaccinated. At some point, the other shoe has to fall here.

3 Likes

Still plenty of things to do, I have a car and not everyone is blowing this out of all proportion.

2 Likes

Yes, anyone who gets vaccinated and attempts to fly with unvaccinated persons should be punished.

They are arguably increasing the risk of symptomless transmission to those most at risk.

How is a private airline enforcing vaccination rules for passengers more authoritarian than the rules they’ve always had in place? For example, the Delta website says:

• All baggage is subject to search.
  • We reserve the right to refuse any bag that has a size, weight or other condition that poses a safety or annoyance risk to other passengers and/or crew, or baggage that is unsuitable for transportation on the aircraft.

Sounds pretty authoritarian to me.

5 Likes

Yes, and the vaccinated are prime spreaders of the new variants.

Presumably no one got on the plane with obvious symptoms, and reports are that everyone was fully vaccinated.

Should vaccinated persons be put on no-fly lists because of the apparent danger of symptomless transmission?

2 Likes

I’d personally rather not resort to exclusion, but the potential negative health results of COVID don’t seem to be motivating the unvaccinated. If we truly want to put this behind us, we need more people to get vaccinated. Exclusion of the unvaccinated seems like the route businesses are taking, whether as a condition for employment or to use their services.

Again, I’d rather people realize that getting vaccinated is for the greater good and will more quickly return things back to normal. But if they are unwillingly, they need to face some pushback.

1 Like

We are done with the carrot. It’s time for the stick.

2 Likes

It’s not punishment. It’s a consequence of not being vaccinated.

1 Like

Vaxxed people are good to go. They will only incur mild or no symptoms if they do get a breakthrough infection. Now let’s compare that to a random unvaxxed person.

See the difference.

1.A guy in our office who was vaxxed, got the covid, and will stay home for two weeks

1. This person who was unvaxxed, got the covid and died.

Slight difference.

Allan

1 Like

Heavy duty stick…

Allan

1 Like