No college football this year?

The ultimate answer to everything. Bring in the lawyers.

Notre Dame and UNC tried to open-up and it only took a week for both to shut down and close both campuses.

The only good idea I have seen is the bubble. It has certainly been successful for the NBA. And while the NFL is not going total bubble, it did allow players to op-out.
And if I am a college player how has a good shot at the NFL, do I op-out and go for the draft?
And then you have growing groups like the parents who have kids playing at Nebraska who are saying if they donā€™t get the right answers they are going to file a law suit.
I think this circus still has a few more acts to play out.
Film at eleven.

This is the perfect time to do what I have long supported.

END all varsity college sports End all sports scholarships. Let each and every professional sports leagues recruit from a farm system as Major League Baseball does.

Get colleges out of sports and purely focused on education.

I would permit purely intramural sports that are more focused on the recreational and physical fitness aspects for the student.

1 Like

So far itā€™s a go. No bubble, and some teams will allow a limited amount of fans.

Iā€™ve been seeing a lot of this lately.

Missing: Any mention of education.

If youā€™re going to put them in a bubble secluded from all pretenses getting an education, pay them.

If you snapped your fingers and that happened tomorrow, what does that even look like?

Do SEC schools just sell off their educational facilities and become European style athletic clubs instead?

They can sell their athletic facilities to farm teams or rent them for use by farm teams or for other uses.

There is something just plain ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  wrong about the fact that in a number of States, the highest paid public official is a Head Football Coach.

Iā€™m truly clueless in the financials here, but the football mafia has convinced me that their revenues prop up the whole system.

Locally, our $175 million dollar downtown stadium addition continues at speed. Takes up all that space, gets used a few times a year.

A few years ago there was talk about moving the football stadium and basketball arena 10 miles east into open land, and placing an expanded medical school in their place. Nearly all factors said that was a great idea, except the ā€œbut muh football goes thereā€ factor.

I agree with what you say, but I have no concept of how it could even be possible.

I will admit it will not be easy to implement by any means.

To help answer myself:

The Longhorns program had more than $219 million in annual operating revenue and total operating expenses of just over $206.5 million during its 2018 fiscal year, according to its new annual financial report to the NCAA.

Well, hell. This might be easier than I thought. Owning hospitals and land is way better than more football.

1 Like

Let them play virtually.

Players control their representative selves by means of a avatar player and individual toggle controls.

Refs will make sure the corresponding player to the avatar is the proper one assigned

Legacy Stadium. A $70 Million HIGH SCHOOL stadium in Texas.

The somewhat more subdued stadium at my high school.

:smile:

You mean like having class online like colleges are doing? Or the fact many off them already have private tutors? But even if they donā€™t have those things, how is now being out more and less access to medical facilities better?

I think your first post was more honest, Iā€™m not faulting you, as Iā€™ve said, itā€™s heard and seen in many places elsewhere too.

No one has ever wondered what their offensive lineā€™s GPA is.

Seems like college covid bubbles have just made the obvious even more so. Pay them.

In principle it sounds bad but . . . . Alabamaā€™s football program brought in 111 million in 2018-2019, 48 million of which was pure profit (meaning this number comes after paying Nick Sabanā€™s nine million dollar salary). Find a professor anywhere at any college who brings in 48 million in pure profit.

To use a less extreme example from my state. Boise State brought in 4.5 million in pure profit after their coaches 1.5 million salary (heā€™s the highest paid in my state). Once again find a professor who brings in 4.5 million in profit.

Colleges only survive off of football. The sheer amount of profit most of them bring pays for a whole lot at the school. It keeps all the athletic programs afloat because outside of some mens basketball teams they all lose money, especially female athletics. It pays for many salaries of professors and other employees at the school.

Pay your coach less and you get a lesser coach and you then win less which means less revenue. Which then means cuts across the board.

That would pretty much be the end of my sports interest. Huge college football fan with very little interest in the pros and even less this year with all the nonsense going on.

Saban is worth every penny.