Next Time - Immediate Action Drill

10 cases might be too late, or it might be way too little depending on the disease. I’d rather just use human judgement based on expert opinion.

In absence of good testing…the plan in the OP would essentially have to be the plan.

Personally I’d make sure we streamlined the process for getting test/contact trace/isolate up and running ASAP.

We’d have to figure out how to replicate what those countries that did this in a way that would be acceptable to Americans because I do agree some of the invasive methods used in K-Pop Land would simply not fly here.

But this plan also causes economic disruption so an early exit plan to go from everyone on lockdown to only those areas where the virus is spreading being on lockdown is essential.

Your plan doesn’t provide the necessary safeguards to protect the health and well being of our population.

These are a few ideas I have to tighten up our woefully inadequate systems.

As we’ve discovered, all ports of entry must be shut down at the first detection of the outbreak of a virus anywhere at any time. Entry into the country should not be simply restricted by allow arriving citizens to enter; all access at all ports must immediately cease. All citizens abroad at the time of the restrictions shall fend for themselves where ever they happen to be at that time. Any additional cost or burden put upon a citizen who cannot return timely shall be a of their own resolve. We all travel abroad at our own risk. All planes shall be redirected and all ships at sea shall remain at sea or return to an alternate port.

Restriction would necessarily includes an immediate ban on the importation of all goods at all ports as well; we know viruses live on surfaces.

All transit between states must be immediately suspended and governors must immediately implement shelter-in-place directives. The National Guard shall establish check points between states to ensure individuals are not transiting between states for any reason. The following would be the only exception: Any citizen that is deemed essential that resides in one state while working in another state shall possess necessary paperwork provided by authorities allowing transit through checkpoints between and within states. These documents must be retained at all times for the duration of the order.

Mass transit systems shall be suspended indefinitely so that essential citizens traveling to/from essential locations do not come in contact with the virus.

We need a mechanism where citizens can report noncompliance to the appropriate authority to ensure swift enforcement. Those facilities that are not complying with directives shall be closed and all occupants arrested for noncompliance. These individuals will remain in jails regardless of prior evacuation orders of jails and prisons. It is essential these individuals remain incarcerated for the duration of the order.

One such example of a reporting mechanism is the hotline established by Judge Clay Jenkins of Dallas County.

Do you know of any smoke shop,craft store or other non essential business (not covered by @CISAgov ) ignoring my #SaferAtHome order and putting profits over public health in your area? Report on https://t.co/uERysAqFAr so we can shut them down ASAP. #FlattenTheCurve

— Clay Jenkins (@JudgeClayJ) April 2, 2020

I have a few other ideas but they may seem a bit drastic and difficult to implement.

Anyone who does not agree with these measures is not serious about stopping the spread and flattening the curve. Do your part.

2 Likes

You’re not going to get anyone to agree to this when there are only a couple cases in the country.

One case is too many.

1 Like

And there you go. Nice try though.

What you ask is not possible. It will never happen. First of all unless we blast apart our interconnected world, cases will be in the country before we can implement any of this.

Secondly, any solution must be reality-based and admit the risk cannot be reduced to 0%.

Does it? What does NYC produce?

If we only lock down the major cities, we are only locking down where it is spreading from the start.

Trump failed, people died. We can do better.

1 Like

Agree? It’s not a vote. Anything less will be too late. Hammer.

I’m talking about the plan to go all-in. You won’t even get the leaders who would be making the decisions to “agree” to do it.

Stopping the buck. A President can order it.

We certainly can do better.

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1244761657114591234?s=20

“I haven’t heard about testing in weeks.”

Anyone from this forum would be more informed than that.

Absolutely.

There was no FDA approved test for this new virus, which is a problem. We should immediate adopt which ever tests the World Health Organizations deems appropriate, or just use the test developed in China. We don’t have time to develop an appropriate and verified test. We need to establish numbers that show we are testing the highest number of people possible, even if the results cannot be verified. Additional time only leads to further failure and death.

2 Likes

@Tim you’re going to be my IED Czar. You get it.

The executive, as of March 30th, was flailing about and making decisions without knowing anything. That should be unacceptable to everyone.

Hence the need for IEDs.

1 Like

Media has been the reason people can’t wipe their a** with toilet paper no more.

2 Likes

Nope, that’s all of it.

1 story = media inciting panic

Feelings

Crude, but add stupidity and we’re there.