Next stop (most likely) court -- Dem's don't get Don's taxes by deadline

Which in fact, proves they’re not very intelligent at all.

I think you’ll probably have to tell him this again.

1 Like

Yes, their authority ORIGINATES (or is it orangeades?) from the Constitution. But they also have authority through duly enacted legislation. Such as this law. And yes, the constitutionality of the law may be challenged. Unsuccessfully, most legal experts who have weighed in believe.

Please qoute the specific language in the constitution that gives congress authority to harass political opponents as part of their legislative duties. Please and thank you.

Does Congress have oversight of the executive or not?

No the courts are asked to see if what the law says is permissible under the constitution. You know – when they rule a law is unconstitutional – and with the wide latitude of this law, it’s very likely to be unconsitutitonal under the 4th amendment search and seizure.

please quote the exact words from the constitution please and thank you.

That law didn’t concern republicans in 2012-13 when the GOP pulled a ton of tax returns in thief fake IRS scandal.

There has been some discussion here lately on the use of the logical fallacy “begging the question”. This is an example of proper usage. You’re welcome.

3 Likes

You realize they’re asking for documents held by the IRS. Is the IRS going to claim it’s an illegal search and seizure? They’re government documents for crying out loud.

That’s absurd.

I can’t. Can you answer my question then?

So your saying FBI, or State Criminal investigators can just call up the IRS and say “hey send me this person’s tax records for years x,y,z” without a warrant?

Which says
(f) Disclosure to Committees of Congress
(1) Committee on Ways and Means, Committee on Finance, and Joint Committee on Taxation
Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

So that’s not very helpful to the argument, since disclosure to the House Ways & Means is exempted from the general prohibition.

If not given in the constitution, then no they don’t. They have been given the power of impeachment. THAT is the oversight they have been given by the constitution.

If Dem’s think they have enough for that, then ball all means start the proceedings at once.

I never said that because law does not permit that.

Except that Don has done such a good job of discrediting the DOJ that no one trusts it anymore.

Gotcha. So ever hearing into Benghazi and the Clinton email server was unconstitutional, correct?

They had no oversight over her actions, after all.

No, but House W&M has the statutory authority to do so.

Translation: You mean my neighbor can request my tax returns?

1 Like

What does that mean? Do you live next door to a member of House W&M? If so, then the answer is yes.