New York to prioritize POCs over Whites for COVID treatments in short supply

Interesting question.

Some of these conditions—for example sickle cell anemia—are almost exclusively seen in black patients.

Others, though, like cystic fibrosis, are more common in white patients. Some residences are more common than others among one group or other.

For example don’t relatively few nonwhites live in congregate care as elderly, and aren’t minority populations more likely to concentrate in more densely populated urban community than sparsely populated rural ones? Personally I believe all with comorbidities should be prioritized when treatments are scarce.

However I also think it a bit naive to think there are no differences when it comes to different groups of patients. Should babies who are more likely to die being placed on their stomachs from crib death than from sickle cell anemia all be tested for sickle cell trait at birth?

They are in Massachusetts when <10% of babies born here are black. The CDC should have probably left race and ethnicity out of its wording.

Again, though, I still believe it naive to consider all at equal risks for poor outcome from COVID-19.

Happy New Year to you!

For what it’s worth: engaging in this thread is pointless. THIS thread is about white grievance.

1 Like

Is that really a thing for covid? I have heard of age, obesity, and pre-existing conditions being a determining factor for being at a higher risk but not race at least with covid.

1 Like

Then you should not… I think you like the attention.

We all love to debate our opinions. Happy New Year, Mr. Pig. 2022 is going to be a great year. 2024 will make America Great Again. :us: God Bless America :us:

Yep nothing about race there in the risk factors

Bigotry and racial descrimination needs to be run out of town. All Lives Matter.

Problem is the One Horse Dog Faced Pony Soldier’s administration did not do their job and blue states followed their ■■■■■■ up leader.

1 Like

Yeah! Where’s the DPA? Let’s Go Brandon!

We have been told that requiring identification racist, but I guess that is only true for voting:

Proof of District residency will be required (e.g, a DC ID or a piece of mail with a DC address) to pick up a test kit . . .

https://coronavirus.dc.gov/rapidantigen

2 Likes

NM I found the answer, it isn’t based on medical guidance but on “Virtue Signaling”.

“longstanding systemic health and social inequities” can contribute to an increased risk of dying from COVID-19.”

This also includes both monoclonal antibodies and oral antivirals. I would like to see the media reaction if this was reversed. Until then we are not equal and never will be. There seems to be this weird self punishment fetish of self loathing going on among progressives I don’t understand it and really don’t care to. Let them eat their cake in NYC.

2 Likes

Now the Biden administration is listing not being white as a risk factor for COVID.

Biden administration guidance prioritizes race in administering COVID drugs

More virtue signaling and illegal use of race.

That could be acceptable if it were proven that pigmentation had some direct relationship to the disease. More likely blacks may on average be overweight or have diabetes more than white people. In that case, giving preference to people who are overweight or have diabetes would already cover any such average differences.

Age, obesity, heart disease, diabetes, compromised immune system are not caused by skin color. The specific reason given for using race/ethnicity is past systemic racism.

This is for a specific treatment, for patients presenting early symptoms, to prevent progression to serious illness. This emergency use order states that a risk factor must be present for the treatment to be authorized. Now some might argue that the document doesn’t list any specific or general racial or ethnic group, even though it states that race/ethnicity can be a qualifying risk factor.

But the fact sheet then refers you to the CDC web site, which then directs you to a specific sub page that makes the direct assertion that people of color (non European ancestry) is a health factor because of racial justice and equity.

Health equity is when all members of society enjoy a fair and just opportunity to be as healthy as possible. Public health policies and programs centered around the specific needs of communities can promote health equity.

The COVID-19 pandemic has brought social and racial injustice and inequity to the forefront of public health. It has highlighted that health equity is still not a reality as COVID-19 has unequally affected many racial and ethnic minority groups, putting them more at risk of getting sick and dying from COVID-19.[1], [2] The term “racial and ethnic minority groups” includes people of color with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. Negative experiences are common to many people within these groups, and some social determinants of health have historically prevented them from having fair opportunities for economic, physical, and emotional health.[3] Social determinants of health are the conditions in the places where people live, learn, work, play, and worship that affect a wide range of health risks and outcomes.

This is the fact sheet about the Authorization and explaining in detail that ypu must have one of the risk factors to receive the treatment. It lists race and ethnicity as things that can be considered risk factors, but doesn’t define which race/ethnicity comply. It does refer you to the CDC page People with Medical Cnditions for details.

FACT SHEET FOR HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS EMERGENCY USE AUTHORIZATION (EUA) OF SOTROVIMAB

This is CDC page People with Medical Conditions. It also fails to specifically identify which race/ethnic group(s) qualify as a risk factor. But it refers you to Health Equity Considerations and Racial and Ethnic Minority Groups, which contains the text I excerpted above.

People with Certain Medical Conditions

And this is the sub page that defines which races and ethnic groups qualify as a stand alone risk factor.

Health Equity Considerations and Racial and Ethnic Minority Groups

Its couldn’t be because Black and other minorities tend to get sicker from COVID and that is provable with case studies.

You seem to be confused what they are saying is due to the climate in which minorities live they tend to be more unhealthy and thus are at greater risk.

its pretty common knowledge that low income families have poorer diet, availability to preventable healthcare, etc which would lead them to be greater risk for COVID-19 which is why vaccination is important for these communities.

You can blame whatever system you wish but its a simple fact that majority of minorities live in low income communities.

I would consider that acceptable as a reason but only if a normalization for other factors is performed. If blacks on average suffered more from Covid but that was because blacks on average suffered more from diabetes, then that difference is already compensated for when you give a preference to people with diabetes.

There hasn’t been one case study that showed race, without an actual medical factor (diabetes, obesity, heart disease, compromised immune system), caused higher morbidity. The claims have been that the the communities of color have more diabetes, more obesity etc. COVID doesn’t attack skin color or ancestry, it infects across the board and kills when underlying health factors are present.

its not a single factor they are saying due to the social-economic condition in which the majority of black people in NYC live they are more at risk hence they are a priority when it comes to treatment and vaccinations.

they are not suggesting that white people will receive less care.

Have they normalized for other factors, or just say oh well, there is a difference by race so under that situation race discrimination is ok?

could it be possibly that because of socioeconomically standing that minorities are less healthy and prone to pre-existing medical issues?

because it easier.
no one is receiving less care I don’t see the issue.