New Harvard Study: Homeschoolers Turn Out Happy, Well-Adjusted, and Engaged

A system that teaches to the test is not a good system.
The way schools are funded is also an issue.

And yes, I agree parents and kids are part of the problem. Mostly the parents, for shielding little Bobby or Cindy from responsibility.

Your fingers seem to work just fine…

Well, if we had 300 million Zantax’s, everything would be awesome.

They do. You brought Finland into the conversation like it was a model.

Start with the teachers.

Oh? Am I a unique genius? Thanks for the compliment I guess.

It was meant as a compliment. And to also point out that not everyone can do what you do/did.

Humans are messy. Have you watched “Shameless”?

Good. If you are really interested…use them.

It was easy. I could have skipped primary school altogether and still done it. In half the time. Or a quarter.

Yeah I saw a few seasons, cushy lives. My dad made Frank look lovable. Would love to see one of those kids split a winters worth of firewood to heat the house. Or work an acre garden every summer. Or cut cabbage fields.

1 Like

I did. Now about your opinion…

Yep. Doesn’t mean much anymore.

2 Likes

The sham continues.

2 Likes

I suppose that when certain demographics of parent and kids are constantly told the system is against them and they won’t get a fair shot at success, they don’t see the point in trying to plan their achieving the good life through education.

2 Likes

He’s got a point.

For example, how many households in America can get by without both parents working?

That is just one of the hurdles of homeschooling. As a former Navy Instructor, I can confidently tell you that is the least of the hurdles you will encounter.

As someone who started off in this world bouncing around from homeless shelter to homeless shelter, I can assure you that attitude is everything, and that anyone who makes excuses for why they can’t change their lifestyle to match their goals deserves to be laughed at.

2 Likes

If the combined income of the two parents barely gets them above poverty level, cutting that in half rarely makes sense.

I’m not saying homeschooling is a bad idea, it’s just not an option for some people. I’m glad you’re determined to make it work, but for a lot of people the math doesn’t add up.

Some folks just have the wrong attitude and then try to blame what they don’t have on anything else. :man_shrugging:

When they get home from school and on the weekends sucky parents are still sucky parents.

Home schooling becoming a trend is a step back to some who see it as a threat. I’d gather those who want to home school their children are more into a quality education as they reject the direction public schools have been taking. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

2 parents can work full time and still home school their children.
For instance, working opposite shifts.
Also, homeschooling does not require 8 hours of class everyday like public school.
Just 2 examples

3 Likes

Homeschooling in the classical style requires about 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. Approximately 250 days a year. Saturday is typically an abbreviated review day and Sunday is not utilized. Those hours do not include reading and other supplementary education. And, of course, there are always learning opportunities for little ones.

But formal education is short, sweet and to the point. And with our kids, beyond the basic reading and arithmetic, self directed.

2 Likes