New england journal of medicine calls for trump to be voted out

In the beginning of all of this, President Trump had to make a choice; direct everything from the WH or allow each Governor to direct their response on a state level with the WH backing them up. He went with the latter.

Now I take a look at the response of Governors and where they missed the mark…was in protecting the elderly, especially in nursing homes. Deaths in nursing homes represent almost half of all the deaths. There were not systems put in place, early on to minimize their exposure to this virus.

In fact, after the devastation in the nursing home in Kirkland, Washington in late February, it didn’t wake up anybody who had the authority to respond. Their inactions are shameful and some of the actions, like Governor Cuomo forcing nursing homes to infect their occupants by taking in infected patients is so stupid…it must be deemed criminally negligent.

If we’re going to point fingers, let’s do it accurately. My middle finger goes to China. My pointer finger is aimed at Governors who failed to protect their constituents.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

3 Likes

Says someone who has not been in the field working with covid patients for about six months.
Next time you spend about six months away from your family caring for covid patients in ICU’s across the United States be sure to come here and tell us all about your experience.
I will be sure to tell my daughter when she calls that you say she does not know what she’s talking about.

1 Like

NEJM is staffed mainly by fairly Conservative Physicians. But you won’t find a group of people more stringent on scientific method and evidence backed research than these guys. You have to be buttoned up just to be considered for a paper there, and I have had a few attempts at getting a paper in without success.

They were published anyway, just not there.

This is medicine at its most prestigious form. The Upper echelon. And they are very apolitical. Until now. Which says a whole lot.

This is quite damning for the President.

1 Like

This is what I was thinking as well. But hearing it from someone with industry knowledge and experience makes it all the more understandable and extraordinary.

This won’t matter to his 35% die-hard base of course. But the other 65% of the country will certainly take note.

I pretty much made a thread about this a month ago, saying the same damn thing.

RINOs, then. :smile:

Bless her for the work she is doing. Sincerely. I will pray for her continued health and safety through all of this. She is doing extremely important and vital work in one of the largest crisis periods in the last century. I have immense respect for that.

I never once said or suggested such a thing here. I simply stated that her anecdote is not equivalent of data. I’m sure she has had the PPE and equipment she feels she has needed. But that is not true for everyone by any stretch of the imagination.

https://www.emsworld.com/news/1224569/after-six-months-coronavirus-ppe-still-lacking

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/07/08/ppe-shortage-masks-gloves-gowns/

How many more reports do you need exactly?

3 Likes

We need a new system that identifies transfer of money used to buy politicians, media and individuals

We have an old one now? Who knew?

Seriously though, as a former scientist I can’t even begin to understand how Trumpsters are able to create and live in a reality in which it is OK (or even great) for journals such as nejm and scientific american to call for the ousting of the guy you support.
yikes

Just cuz the Obama-Biden administration subverted the constitution and conspired with the Russians and enriched themselves and their families, totally f’d up the H1N1, that’s nothing compared to Trump achieving a best case scenario response to Covid. But it’s time to get Trump cuz orange man bad given that he is lowering the costs of meds and requiring transparency of medical procedure costs etc. Bottom line, Police endorse Trump. Docs endorse Biden. I am good with siding with the cops.

How about “truthful” reports. I can just about walk into any bank or store and if I don’t have a mask on and they require one, they hand them out free. There’s no shortage…period.

1 Like

It is quite surprising they said anything at all, but more surprising that Scientific American did. Talk about apolitical organizations, that is one right there. I suppose if National Geographic or Nature takes a stand we are in rare air.

1 Like

I’ve got to save that one. That’s funny. :sunglasses:

1 Like

:smiley:

We were discussing PPE that is used by first responders and the medical community. Not whether handkerchiefs are in short supply. And the PPE and equipment needed by those frontline workers is very much in a bad spot still to this day. Primarily because Trump never enacted the DPA and failed to develop a national logistics system to be operated by the Federal Government, to ensure we had the necessary quantity of PPE and materials, and to direct them to the right places as outbreaks and hotspots broke out.

Huge difference, Smyrna.

Stores do not hand out N-95s. Stores do not lend out CAPRs. Cheap latex gloves are fine for a short term but durable and medical grade gloves are another. Gowns are a big deal now, and we have been short of them for ages. Nurses and Docs were using garbage bags and duct tape for a time just to have some protection.

Then you need good boot covers. Not shoe covers, boot styled ones that go up to the knee and above the gown line. And every time you take care of a sick patient and leave the room you have to decontaminate and strip all of this away and discard it. Imagine how many times a critically ill COVID patient has people in the room attending to them, there is probably a hundred dons and doffs a day per patient. Now imagine there are 400 or 500 patients with COVID at your facility, all needing 100 dons or doffs per day.

That is 40k N-95 masks per day for one hospital, plus equal gowns, boots and gloves.

For one hospital.

Which is why we have been reusing N-95s, we haven’t had a choice. There aren’t enough to go around. I keep mine in a paper bag in my office.

I get a new one each week.

And I consider myself lucky in this regard.

Governors can buy PPE, but they cannot force local manufacturers to retool and produce them. The problem is, they have to bid against 49 other Governors all trying to secure this stuff too and the Federal Government, who often outbids the states and keeps it for themselves.

Meanwhile, there are loads of manufacturers who are willing to retool but will not without the Federal government implementing the DPA. In fact, COVID funds that could have been used for a DPA PPE order were instead used to purchase Jet engine parts and body armor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/09/22/covid-funds-pentagon/

All of this comes down to a basic reality, the Federal Government failed to procure PPE or use the DPA to spur its production for no other reason than they wished to shift responsibility to the states so that they could shift blame. Same with testing supplies.

Governors do not have the resources, the technical expertise nor the authority to run a full blown pandemic, they were forced to do so due to the cowardice and the inaction of the Federal Government at the behest of the Executive Branch. It is a full throated betrayal of their sacred responsibility, to protect American citizens from all threats.

The NEJM got it right. Good on them.

4 Likes

:point_up:

Excellent post as always!

1 Like

“Unpresidented”