New bipartisan bill would require labeling of AI-generated videos and audio

Bipartisan legislation introduced in the House Thursday would require the identification and labeling of online images, videos and audio generated using artificial intelligence, the latest effort to rein in rapidly developing technologies that, if misused, could easily deceive and mislead.

AI-generated or not, these images, videos, and audio are protected from such meddling by the 1st amendment.

There is no difference between a machine’s deepfake and a Photoshop fake.

There should not be any rules that target content creation tools in the United States for any reason.

Looks like freedom is going to get messy again.

1 Like

more censorship by congress.

who knew?

Allan

Deepfakes are of a real concern, as the technology progresses it gets infinitely harder to tell fake from real.

I have no idea what the answer is.

3 Likes

What ever it is, the answer is NOT to give the government more power to repress the populace it claims to represent.

6 Likes

get ready for “AI“ to be a factor in terms of election interference

(But only if the Republican manages by some miracle beat the rig and win)

Not sure how having to acknowledge using AI to make something violates the 1st Amendment. Censorship is preventing the dissemination of speech and images. Does this Bill place limits on dissemination?

Why?

Define censorship.

stopping ideas that offend people into the marketplace.

there is nothing wrong with deepfakes IMHO.

i mean who doesnt want to deep biden?

and trump as super military man.

Allan

More childish questions. You remind me of my 2 year old Grandson

1 Like

Because you really won’t be able to tell the difference between what you are told and your lying eyes, because if you aren’t actually there, the visuals may well be lying.
And that goes for politics and non political visuals.

Which is not to say a new law is the answer.

3 Likes

Yes, I totally get the concern. With the advancement of the technology it is too easy to produce something that looks as real as the actual real thing. I don’t know how to combat that and still stay within bounds and, as you said, creating a new law. This one actually requires some statesman like discussion and deep thinking.

3 Likes

If we don’t do something, you won’t be able to believe a thing you see or hear. This example is from two years ago. They have only become more convincing since then. The video of the hosts is AI generated. They didn’t actually sing the song.

Exactly this.

The last thing we need is knee jerk legislation. Everyone on all sides needs to be cautious of any video, photo, documents etc that are released without any form of citation or provenance.

1 Like

Then how is this labeling censorship?

Is he smarter than you also?

1 Like

Hasn’t that sort of always been the case?

Going to take some discernment and some depth of knowledge.

That fooled somebody?

Video has a ways to go, but they can fool you with audio.